Transmission shifting question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
1951 Farmall Super C w/FH
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission shifting question

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:32 pm

I think Dale has nailed it. A clutch finger adjustment is in order.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Depending on how the pilot bushing was installed, there have been cases where the ID was changed enough to cause the shaft to drag. After reaming the bushing to the proper ID, problem solved.

Bill

Urbish types faster than I do. :)

I encountered this exact issue last winter with a clutch replacement. Word for word.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

rstoots
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 22406
Tractors Owned: 1949

Postby rstoots » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 pm

I guess I'm at the point of separating the Cub and pulling the clutch. Where can I download the 1947 Operator Manual and Service Manual?

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Quicklinks at the top left corner of this page. Search around until you find the year nearest 1947. Basic maintenance is in the Operator's Manual, parts and service manuals are there too. Don't forget to wedge the front axle as it engine can roll sideways when you start to roll it apart. Stan

JohnMihevic
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:11 pm

rstoots wrote:I just bought a 1947 Cub and PO said it could not shift gears after tractor was running. Said you had to put it in the gear you wanted and all was OK but was not able to change gears after tractor was started. He has replaced through out bearing, clutch disk, made lots of adjustments with no change. Hope you guys can direct me as to where to start?

You may give this a try. It worked for me. I installed a new clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing. After I got the tractor back together, I could not select any gear from neutral, without grinding the gears. I reduced the clutch free travel to zero and still could not get the gears to stop. I had soaked the new pilot bearing in oil for a whole day and applied grease to the shaft end before putting the tractor back together, so it wasn’t a lube problem.

I decided to “wear in” the pilot bearing. I figured it would take a few hours and didn’t want to put a load on the throw out bearing, and crankshaft bearings with the clutch depressed and the engine running. With the engine off, I rotated the transmission main shaft with an electric motor driving the PTO pulley that I use for my C3 mower. I kept the clutch depressed by wrapping a tow rope around the front axle cross member and hooking it to the clutch pedal. With the pulleys I used, the shaft speed was 1100 RPM. About every hour, I checked to see if the gears would still grind when shifting from neutral. After about 5 hours of “wear in”, I could depress the clutch, wait a few seconds and shift from neutral to any gear with no grinding. It has been fine since the pilot bearing “wear in”.

John M.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:42 am

Hi,
I posted the 1947 Cub owner's manual at my post on page 1 of this post. :)

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 am

JohnMihevic wrote:
rstoots wrote:I just bought a 1947 Cub and PO said it could not shift gears after tractor was running. Said you had to put it in the gear you wanted and all was OK but was not able to change gears after tractor was started. He has replaced through out bearing, clutch disk, made lots of adjustments with no change. Hope you guys can direct me as to where to start?

You may give this a try. It worked for me. I installed a new clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing. After I got the tractor back together, I could not select any gear from neutral, without grinding the gears. I reduced the clutch free travel to zero and still could not get the gears to stop. I had soaked the new pilot bearing in oil for a whole day and applied grease to the shaft end before putting the tractor back together, so it wasn’t a lube problem.

I decided to “wear in” the pilot bearing. I figured it would take a few hours and didn’t want to put a load on the throw out bearing, and crankshaft bearings with the clutch depressed and the engine running. With the engine off, I rotated the transmission main shaft with an electric motor driving the PTO pulley that I use for my C3 mower. I kept the clutch depressed by wrapping a tow rope around the front axle cross member and hooking it to the clutch pedal. With the pulleys I used, the shaft speed was 1100 RPM. About every hour, I checked to see if the gears would still grind when shifting from neutral. After about 5 hours of “wear in”, I could depress the clutch, wait a few seconds and shift from neutral to any gear with no grinding. It has been fine since the pilot bearing “wear in”.

John M.

That is all a pretty good idea. I like that it avoids burning out the throwout bearing too.

rstoots
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rstoots » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 am

I want to try the JM method to breakin the pilot bushing. With the clutch pedal out and transmission in gear should I be able to turn the pulley? I thought the engine would prevent it from turning however I can still turn pulley when installing.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:15 am

Transmission will need to be in neutral if I understand your question correctly. The engaged pto shaft is turning the main shaft with this setup.

rstoots
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rstoots » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:47 am

I understand the neutral issue for the breakin, while installing the gear I had the transmission in gear so that I could tighten pulley hub and pulley would turn. I assumed that the engine compression would prevent the turning.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 am

rstoots wrote:I understand the neutral issue for the breakin, while installing the gear I had the transmission in gear so that I could tighten pulley hub and pulley would turn. I assumed that the engine compression would prevent the turning.

You also need the PTO in gear.

rstoots
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rstoots » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:40 pm

OK, so I went to the book on the PTO. On 55 parts tractor when PTO shifter rod is in forward position PTO turns freely and in rear position PTO won't turn in gear or neutral.
On 47 I'm having the shifting issue with the PTO won't turn freely in any PTO shifter or trans gear position. Is this somehow related to my earlier shifting issue?

rstoots
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rstoots » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:02 pm

More info.
Put PTO in on mode, start tractor and PTO works, push in clutch and move PTO lever to off and PTO stopped turning. Pushed clutch in and tried to shift PTO to on and get the same gear clashing as first issue. So will proceed with electric motor hooked up to PTO to loosen pilot bushing.

rstoots
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rstoots » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Hooked up electric motor to PTO and ran for 4hrs. PTO turns a lot easier, will spin now where as before I could only turn by hand.
1947 did not have clutch pedal adjustment on pedal so I will adjust rod even though PO said they had tried that.
If that doesn't work I guess I'll split it and check out the clutch system especially the pressure plate.
Also going to check to see if there was any difference in clutch parts for a 1947.

Looking for more ideas if you have any.

rstoots
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rstoots » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:15 am

I might have found problem but I need some help. The yoke that holds the throwout bearing is different on the 1947 in that connector for the clutch pedal shaft points down instead of to the rear. Question: Which hole does the shaft attach in. Seems to me it should go in lower hole so that you can pull the pin and adjust the clutch. This one was in the upper hole and after pulling pin I could not turn rod to adjust.