This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IT"S CONTEST TIME

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IT"S CONTEST TIME

Postby brewzalot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:00 pm

tmays wrote:a pound of cans is about 31 cans before melting down

No wonder I was so far off, last time I checked there were 24 cans to the pound !

Thanks for the fun Rick, and way to go Eugene- do you want to sell those new wedges you have :lol:

tim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 am

brewzalot wrote:Eugene- do you want to sell those new wedges you have?
No. Will take to the Midmo's Cubfest in May and try them out. A number of experienced Cub owners/mechanics will attend. It should be a good demonstration of Rick's product.

How I came up with the contest winning weight. Bunch of guesses and estimations. Use to help collect aluminum cans for the Boy Scouts. Watched the can purchaser "sort" the cans they would accept for purchase. The process separated out under and over weight cans. Taught Industrial Arts/technology where we would smelt aluminum and cast items.

And then guesstimated that the advertising, any beverage residue, and slag would make up about 50% of the cans initial weight. Then to make a pour into the mold, Rick would need 20 or 30% more in the kiln/ladle to fill the mold.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:25 am

Eugene, you're SPOT ON with your reasoning. I'll take a pic of all the DROSS (I think that's what the casting guys call it). I have a 6" pie tin along side of the forge that I use to collect the dross once it's skimmed off. I have several blobs of it in a pile. I made a comment days ago to a friend that pop cans produce close to 50% floating dross. I also maintained about an inch of molten aluminum in the crucible after the double pour. I used a metal rod with an adjustable stop for measuring. Seems along with the floating dross there's also some particles that head to the bottom( people sticking things into the pop cans before they toss them out) :shock:

Also I have to say the molten aluminum appears to be an excellent quality once the junk's removed. Guess it'd have to be to stretch things into a pop/beer can and not have any bad spots or explosions. Youtube videos on factories making cans are amazing.

Thanks everyone for a fun contest. There's always some funny responses.
Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Return to “Farmall Cub”