Cub Generator Stopped Charging Yesterday?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mountain4don
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Cub Generator Stopped Charging Yesterday?

Postby mountain4don » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 pm

We use our 1959 Cub Lo-Boy a lot around the farm and yesterday I took a small trailer out to retrieve some more firewood for our furnace. It was charging just fine during the first few runs in the morning, and then just suddenly was showing discharge all the time after I started it for another haul to the house. I have never replaced or repaired the generator on this Cub as long as I have owned it (35 years). I do oil it and replace the belt during maintenance times (engine oil changes and such). The lights work just fine as the battery is working fine to start the tractor. I just replaced the battery cables a few months ago. And all of that seems to be working ok. So, what can be wrong and how do I check it? Generator? Voltage Regulator? Wiring? :lost:
Last edited by mountain4don on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

mountain4don
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub Generator Stopped Charging Yesterday?

Postby mountain4don » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:04 pm

I thank everybody for your help and suggestions. I found the problem on the "TEST" page. On Step 2. It was a non-grounded voltage regulator that showed up instantaneously when I ran a jumper from the positive terminal of the battery to the ground strap on the voltage regulator. So, I need to go out and remove the voltage regulator bolts and clean up everything to see if that will improve the performance of the generator.
1950 Farmall M

ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ntrenn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:14 pm

The regulator on the 63 from time to time just doesnt kick in. When i get tired of it not charging, i take off the cover and cycle the contacts. Usually clears it for months...

mountain4don
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mountain4don » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:06 pm

You just open and close them by hand, and thats it? I was wondering if I should open up the regulator and maybe polish the points with a piece of 600 emery paper?
1950 Farmall M

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:57 pm

mountain4don wrote:You just open and close them by hand, and thats it? I was wondering if I should open up the regulator and maybe polish the points with a piece of 600 emery paper?

No. You definitely should not do that.

If they look like they need a bit of polishing, a piece of kraft paper (grocery sack or layer from a piece of cardboard) is good. If they need more than that, light filing with a points file would work.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi,
If the regulator works right when you ground it, I would not close the reg's on and off points by hand, it can damage the reg.
If the points look burned, you could file the points with a thin points file, there are 2 sets of points, one set at the top of each coil of wire. The IH manual says do not use sandpaper on the points.

You cannot get the cover off the reg without either having the hood off, or removing the reg mounting bolts, and sliding the reg out from under the hood edge, if the reg is in the original position.
Disconnect the battery first, so you don't short the system when working on it.
One set of points is open when the engine is stopped, and one set of points is closed all the time, open the closed set gently, and put the file in and file them. That set controls the voltage output, they usually burn more than the other set.
Wipe off all filings with a clean rag, run between the points. They have to be clean to make contact.

If you have the reg loose from the base, and slide it out, you could also remove the wires, ONE at a time, and sand the connections, and clean them. They commonly get dirty and corroded, and need cleaning. Wipe off all sanding with a clean rag.
Below is a pic of under the reg cover, disregard the pencil, it is pointing at the adjustment for the voltage output. :)
Attachments
Cub reg 2.jpg