This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Was this supposed to happen

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brodalick
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28540
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Re: Was this supposed to happen

Postby Brodalick » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm

The holes seem a little worn but to bad. Weights all move very free and I can't find a sticking spot anywhere. I also can't find the timing mark on idler gear (motor). Mark is visible on the drive gear(the one on the governor). Hope I got those right. Any suggestions? I've cleaned gear best I could but still can't see it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi,
The snugger and less worn the pins in the governor weights are, the better the governor works.
The holes in the weights can be worn too, twist the weights sideways, and if they are loose, it should have some repair done to it.
The weights have to be free moving in and out.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the idler gear and the timing mark. Look closely, it is on the right side of the pic, at the gear teeth.
You probably need to turn the engine to number one cylinder at TDC, if you can't find the mark on the idler. You need a light to see the mark.

Edit, the mark is on the rear side of the gear, facing the rear of the tractor.

AL Farmall Boy wrote:
Dale Finch wrote:
And under that "while you have it off...you might want to replace the distributor seal.

Which seal is this exactly and how signifigant is it to be replaced if leaky. I remember pulling an ignition distributor once and a palm sized handful of motor oil poured out from the governor side at the bottom where the distributor was mounted. Is this related or is that normal?

Al Farmall Boy, it is not normal to have oil run out when you remove the Battery Ignition unit, the seal is leaking if there is motor oil in the drive area.
Below is a pic of the drive and oil seal. The seal has to be installed to the right position in the block, so it is in the right position on the governor gear seal surface.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new oil seal.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gv/436fp.htm
Attachments
Cub idler gear.jpg
Cub gov gear.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brodalick
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Brodalick » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Thanks Glen. Would this mark be on the front side and back side of the idler gear?

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:14 pm

That mark is on the BACK (distributor/magneto) side and is hard to see. That's why I had said IF you pull the distributor, take a punch and make a mark on the corresponding FRONT side.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Brodalick
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Brodalick » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks Dale. I will try to clean the gear again tomorrow. Still waiting on my parts but maybe I can get the timing marks lined up and the distributor back in. Thanks to all for answering my seemingly easy questions.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Since you do have the distributor off, did you go ahead and replace that large seal? It requires insertion to a specific depth.

Sounds like you are making progress...one step at a time. Good luck!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:03 pm

just paint the top of the gear teeth when you find the marks, makes it a lot easier to see when installing

Brodalick
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Brodalick » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 am

Yes I replaced seal already. Thought about a dot from a paint marker on the teeth. Two on the idler and one on the drive. Will make it easier I am hoping. Next I'm afraid will be motor work. Turning the motor over with the hand crank was way easier than I feel it should have been. I think I will have to check compression but I'm afraid it's very low. Tractor runs great though and starts only after turning over one time.

Return to “Farmall Cub”