3 Point Hitch Build Update

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Willy
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Re: 3 Point Hitch Build Update

Postby Willy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:42 am

I'll probably have to take it back off at least once (forgot to paint the spacers), but I've got the hitch frame finished, painted. bolted back on and the Cat 0 pins installed. I've been busy with Dr appointments and today is going to be a wash as we're taking my mother in law to her 65th high school reunion. The rest of my hitch parts (5/8" link and rod ends) finally came in yesterday and I hope tomorrow, I can get started on the lower links and the lift rods. The height adjustable toplink bracket seems to be working good as well. Hopefully I've got enough paint on the frame to hide a lot of my ugly welding. But when I did the drop test on the concrete, nothing came apart and it rang like a bell.

I was able to get out there for a few hours a couple of days ago and figure out the 3-point drawbar using the 2" receiver I had bolted to the original drawbar. That Cat III receiver is a bit of overkill for the Cub, but it's not like I'll break it either. And it gives me plenty of area to weld it to the drawbar.

Now to figure out how long to make the lower links.
Attachments
hitch frame 2.jpeg
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

ajhbike
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub- Lorelai
1956 Lo-Boy FH- Rory
1951 Super C FH- Emily
1968 JD 3020- Paris
Woods 59 CLF
54A Blade, 54-L Blade, C-22 Sickle
C-21-P Sickle Mower
72" Rear Blade, Carryalls, Pallet Forks, IH 263 2 Row Cultivator, 7' Rake, Brush Hog, Horn-Draulic FEL

Postby ajhbike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:30 am

Looks pretty good. I am an awesome welder as long as I have a brush with red paint on it for after

Willy
501 Club
501 Club

Postby Willy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:34 pm

I had it pulling my utility trailer around the farm today as a trial run. The lift works like a store bought one. I did a quick stabilizer bar with no adjustment on it last night as I needed the Cub this morning. It worked great but it was a bear to get the drawbar hooked up to the hitch. So, late this afternoon, I've started a new one that can be adjusted. I'm also going to put some angle braces on the top link mast and the drawbar as well while I'm at it. If it's all still working as good as it did today, it'll be red paint time again.

( I bent a darn lynch pin using it without the stabilizer bar the first time I tried to use it)
Waking up the ol' Cub

Willy
501 Club
501 Club

Postby Willy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Pic of the latest version on the 3 point. More changes to come.
Attachments
Hitch v6.jpeg
Waking up the ol' Cub

ajhbike
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub- Lorelai
1956 Lo-Boy FH- Rory
1951 Super C FH- Emily
1968 JD 3020- Paris
Woods 59 CLF
54A Blade, 54-L Blade, C-22 Sickle
C-21-P Sickle Mower
72" Rear Blade, Carryalls, Pallet Forks, IH 263 2 Row Cultivator, 7' Rake, Brush Hog, Horn-Draulic FEL

Postby ajhbike » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:43 am

Looks pretty good, I agree on the vertical bracing. You might consider using two longer top links for the lift arms so that you can adjust pitch

Willy
501 Club
501 Club

Postby Willy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 am

The "lift arms" are somewhat adjustable using the slip collars. I put the 3/4 head bolts in them in place of the 1/2 head set screws so I could set them a bit tighter. My original idea was to thread the top 4-6" of the rods and use jam nuts for the adjustment, but I don't have a big enough vise to keep the rods from turning while trying to cut the 5/8 NC threads. Something else I'll be revisiting when I get the chance.

I had an 8" vise, but somehow managed to break it while trying to straighten out a bent electric wheelchair frame last fall. And the price for a new vise is a bit outrageous if you ask me.

Edited to add: I'm glad you brought the lift arms up and got me to thinking about them again. I got an idea on how to hold them while I thread them.
Waking up the ol' Cub