governor spring on 1960 McCormick Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ginger
Zip Code: 17408

governor spring on 1960 McCormick Cub

Postby ginger » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi, am still not sure how to use thyis site or even Post but hope this will work.
I have 1960 McCormick Farmall Cub I bought over the winter. When I add more throttle it just sits there and keeps surging up and down and will not stabbilize until I grab hold of the governor rod a little and tame it. Upon further examination, it looks to me like someone put a spring on there, a long one from the governor rod the whole way back and hooked into the hose clamp on the fuel line. Am sure that is a jerry rig and thiunk may be my problem. Can anyone show me a diagram of how the governor should work and where the rod and spring should properly be hooked to? I'm going to try to add a picture so you can see close up at my carb and spring.
Attachments
Gov Spring.jpg

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: governor spring on 1960 McCormick Cub

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi,
It is easy to post on here, just click on the Post Topic button, then write a post, and post it by clicking submit, below the box you wrote the message in.

The Cub does not originally come with a spring there by the carburetor, I would remove it and see how it works without it. The linkage needs adjusting so the governor works correctly.
I'll send you a private message explaining how. It is sort of long to put here. You get to the private messages at the top of the page.
There is also an adjustment to help stop the speeding up and down.

Below is a page from the Cub parts manual showing the parts of the governor, and linkages.
The 2nd page has info about the numbers on the 1st page, after number 23 in the pic. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-18.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-19.jpg

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Agree with Glen on the spring. It will not allow the governor to do the job it is designed to do. From the looks of the carb it's a good guess that the fuel system needs some attention. The fuel seems to be seeping from the gasket area and there appears to be an unusually thick "rubber" gasket between the carb and the intake. The flexible fuel line may have been added to be able to use an inline fuel filter (just guessing but if so it needs to be a gravity filter). If you disassemble the carb, be cautions about removing the two section and pull them straight apart, to do otherwise risks breaking the idle tube jet that is screwed into the top half and projects down in to the bowl of lower section. A good cleanup, check the jets, make sure the top is not warped (it can be straightened), check the fuel shutoff screen/valve/tank to be sure everything is clean is a good place to start. Also check the carb control linkage to be sure it's not touching the engine block.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi,
The only spring that originally comes on the governor is number 7 in the parts pic above.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the left side of the governor, showing the spring when assembled.
The spring is not in the right place in the parts pic above.

You have to use a light and look in from the left side of the Cub, by the fan, to see it.

You could also oil where the cotter key in the pic below is, the linkage can get tight there and bind from no oiling. :)
Attachments
Cub gov 4.jpg