Source for filter (and other ?)

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Engine Joe
Zip Code: 30141

Source for filter (and other ?)

Postby Engine Joe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:23 pm

My manuals finally came in and I'm ready to start some basic maintenance on my Cub. Is the filter element something I can pick up at NAPA or is it a special order item?

Also the manual recommends 30 weight oil for the engine. Does that apply to an old tractor as well?

Manual specifies 90 weight transmission lubricant. Would that be regular transmission fluid?

While I'm asking.. any recommendations for general grease for all the grease fittings?

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Source for filter (and other ?)

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Engine Joe wrote:My manuals finally came in and I'm ready to start some basic maintenance on my Cub. Is the filter element something I can pick up at NAPA Should be able too.or is it a special order item?

Also the manual recommends 30 weight oil for the engine. Does that apply to an old tractor as well? Yes, 30wt in the summer, 10wt in the winter.

Manual specifies 90 weight transmission lubricant. Would that be regular transmission fluid? No. get the 90wt.

While I'm asking.. any recommendations for general grease for all the grease fittings? Good quality grease for everything but the throwout bearing. For that get the cheapest grease you can find. I have and use two grease guns, one for each type of grease.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:20 pm

The NAPA filter for the Cub is an 1153. Whether they have it in stock will depend on the individual store.
30 weight is fine. The manual was written for an old tractor. :D
90 weight is gear oil, not transmission fluid. It's the preferred product.
Any mid grade gun grease will work fine. No need to break the bank on a slow moving tractor.

I see Bill beat me to some of these.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

butchs38
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 07847
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
54 Blade

Postby butchs38 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm

the filter numbers are AC P-321, Fram C-235 NAPA 1153, Wix 51153 Purolator L2008 or L2009 Fleetguard LF-672 case/ih 376373R91 30 weight oil is fine for warm weather i use 10w 30 super tech synthetic from walmart all year. Just watch if you use detergent oil keep eye on how dirty oil gets. 80w 90 gear oil for trans finals and steering box. Any multipurpose grease should be fine i like the mystik jt-6 mp from tractor supply

Engine Joe

Postby Engine Joe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks got the great info. I'm trying to go through everything maintenance/function wise and then I'll actually put it to work. Restoration will be ongoing forever.

I think my carb needs to be rebuilt. I may order one then rebuild mine as time allows. I've seen a wide range of prices and sources, including Amazon and tractor supply houses. Any recommendations on that?

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm

You didn't say how your carburetor is working, if it works good, or not.

Some things that go wrong with the IH carb are, the throttle shaft can be worn at the 2 ends of it, or the threads can be stripped, or a warped top half, where it seals to the bottom half.

You could take yours off, take it apart and clean it, and see if it looks good. Maybe you don't need to spend the money for a new one. The guys on here have said the lower priced foreign carbs are not too good.

If it drips on the ground when sitting, the needle and seat could need replacing, they wear out after years of use. Or the float level could be too high, or the needle and seat could have dirt in it, that will keep it from sealing.
The float level, and float drop need checking when the carb is apart. The specs are in the Cub service manual. :)
Last edited by Glen on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Engine Joe

Postby Engine Joe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Glen wrote:You didn't say how your carburetor is working, if it works good, or not. The throttle shaft can be worn at the 2 ends of it, or the threads can be stripped, or a warped top half, where it seals to the bottom half.

You could take yours off, take it apart and clean it, and see if it looks good. Maybe you don't need to spend the money for a new one. The guys on here have said the lower priced foreign carbs are not too good.

If it drips on the ground, the needle and seat could need replacing, they wear out after years of use. Or the float level could be too high, or the needle and seat could have dirt in it, that will keep it from sealing.
The float level, and float drop need checking when the carb is apart. The specs are in the Cub service manual. :)

The gaskets look really bad. It leaks some. I pulled the breather while it was off and gas ran out. The throttle and choke seem to work fine.

butchs38
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 07847
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
54 Blade

Postby butchs38 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:46 pm

stay away form amazon and tractor supply houses nothing but problems. your best bet is tm tractor parts hamilton bobs steiner tractor and mcdonald carb.