Later Fast Hitch on an early Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Later Fast Hitch on an early Cub

Postby Super A » Sun May 06, 2018 9:07 am

Shane Nelson wrote:Correct, you have to install the bail and the two brackets on the finals at the same time. There’s no way to get it in if you bolt one side on. Tried it, lol.

Me too....you can do a Super A--140 a piece at a time but the whole deal has to go in, together on a Cub. I have some 6x6 and 2x4 blocks and blocked up the two brackets that go on the final drives about even with the final drive holes. Then I was able to shimmy it in place. It really wasn't bad at all, did it all by myself. I got good at it.....I got a big pile of fast hitch parts that included 2-3 bails. Well one of them was for a early FH with the leveling lever instead of the crank. Guess which one I installed first. :roll: Had it all bolted together tight and then the leveling crank wouldn't line up!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
"It ain't a !@*% A. It's a SUPER A!"

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun May 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Correct. And I agree with Stan's comments. I've frequently used several ratchet straps to do the lifting/leveling.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi,
I handle the Fast Hitch in one piece, except for disconnecting the depth adjusting lever, or crank, from the bail first. Also disconnect, or leave the lift rod off, until last.
Look at the parts pic that you posted, rock shaft number 9, that is where I lift my hitch. It is well balanced there, half way between the right and left sides, with the lever or crank removed from the bail.
If you are using an engine lifter, it has to be behind the hitch, not in front.

I used a lift from the ceiling, so I need to remove the pan seat, only the seat, at the top of the seat post, by removing the 4 bolts, so the lift chain or cable will hang straight.
I don't know how it works with an engine lifter, you might not need to remove the seat.
I don't know if the DeLuxe seat is in the way, if you have that.

I use a large punch on each side, to put in two of the 5/8" holes in the brackets, to align the holes to put the bolts in the final drives.
You will probably need to block up parts of the hitch, like the bail and rear of the hitch, to connect the crank, and lift rod.

I would check or change the final drive oils before putting the hitch on, the final drive oil pans cannot be removed without removing the Fast Hitch, the rear bolt on each pan will not come out without removing the hitch.
I don't have a Fast Hitch with a crank, but I think the crank bracket might cover the right side oil plug. The left side oil plug is easier to get at before putting the hitch on also.

I wrote this above at your post about the 194 Plow, in February.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '44 B
'47 Cub
'50 Cub
194 Plow
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader

Postby T-Mo » Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 am

I got the fast hitch all mounted it, except for the helper spring. I still need to make the reinforcement tab and the tab for the rockshaft and get them welded onto the tractor.

Even though I have the rear wheels in the narrow position, I didn't have to remove a tire. It fit without doing so. But it was a chore, but not as bad as I was expecting. I did have to clean out a couple of the thread holes on the final drives that wasn't being used for the drawbar, but had to be used for the fasthitch.