Poor Man's Restoration

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Willy
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Re: Poor Man's Restoration

Postby Willy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:00 am

Shane Nelson wrote:
rockfarmer wrote:Like many of you, I have a problem. I am addicted to the restoration of these small tractors, and often wonder, when will the infatuation wear off? Next year? 10 years? Never?

I also know the solution to a problem is to first admit that there is a problem... just did, problem solved!

I was an alcoholic for close to 15 years and drank enough for everyone on this forum and a couple others, not people but a couple other forums. Praise God that through Him and Him alone I been sober for over 6 years. With that being said I don’t think there is anything that could cure me from the addiction of old iron and rust and a little bit of new paint here and there :D

I had my last drink Christmas 1996. Sometimes you just need to trade addictions to something more benign with the Lord's help. I made a comment to someone about my shop stuff keeping me out of bars and was asked if working on antique machinery wasn't more expensive than drinking. I told them, they hadn't seen how much I drank.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby rockfarmer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:32 pm

I was beginning to think something was awry when I could not find any leaks after running the tractor for 2-3 hours.

Then I found them.
47 seed plate leak.jpg

Manual says to put two oil seals here, I only had one at the time and forgot to put the other in when it arrived. I hope the 2nd seal will stop this leak.

Also, the hydraulic manifold where it attaches to the pump is leaking. I have put 2 sets of correct sized O rings in, still leaking.
47 hydraulic pump leak.jpg

I'm thinking the surface may not be flat? Should I try to flatten the manifold side with a file or something?

While I was piddling with it today, a friend stopped by and looked at the tractor. He commented on how well it sounds and looks, while I pointed out the two small leaks. He smiled and asked "how old is this tractor?"

He also said, "did you ever notice the catch cans under demo tractors at dealerships?...leaks" get over it! I never noticed, but wasn't looking neither.

I understand it's a tractor, and I am certainly not bringing it into the house, but if I can stop or prevent a leak with the proper seal, or gasket, I'm gonna give it a try.

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 pm

the axle nut leak, the surface where the seal rides, make sure it is contacting the nut so it can seal, it is easy to set the seal to the wrong depth and it will leak, on the pump make sure that is the orings leaking and not the line itself where it is welded

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:01 pm

I was positive that one of my manifolds was leaking at the O-rings, but it turned out as mentioned above..the original weld around one of the lines at the block that bolts to the pump was the culprit. Took it to a welder friend who fixed it.

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:43 pm

As usual, you all are spot on! (1) The right final seal was not pressed in far enough to properly seal, and (2) the upper (smaller) hydraulic line weld was weeping during operation.

Is the upper line the return line or suction line?
47 hydraulic repair leaking.jpg

While removing the hydraulic line(s) from 1/2 of a project tractor, I realized the smaller line was clogged with dirt and the assembly was bent way out of alignment due to improper storage. I roto rooted and sprayed water, air PB blaster and WD-40 until eventually it cleared. Took to a fork in a tree and with several bends managed to get the assembly to fit without rubbing against anything. Pretty sure if there was no leak before, there is now.
47 hyd install.jpg

To my surprise, after running for an hour or so, no leaks and no whining. I plan on buying a hand lift for backup.

Thanks again for your quick response(s) and advice.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:01 pm

The smaller line is the pressure line.

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 am

Thank you Jim...I found the culprit.
47 Hydraulic line pinhole.jpg

Pinhole in the weld. Can this be repaired for reliable service?

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:37 am

IMO, yes.

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 am

rockfarmer wrote:I presume the odds of the front crankshaft seal not leaking are the same as the rear, so it is getting replaced too.

47 pulley.jpg

47 Pulley removal.jpg

47 pulley removed.jpg

The only seal left to replace is this one,
47 governor sea frl.jpg
47 governor seal.jpg

which does not appear to be leaking oil into the magneto, so I'm thinking about leaving it alone, for now, until I change my mind, later today. :?

Gosh, I have a crank pulley that for the life of me can not get off! I've heated it with a torch and used a bearing seperator with 2 and 3 jaw puller to remove (with bolt in center) and it will not budge!! You make it look so easy.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 am

Jim Becker wrote:The original generator from '47 to '49 was 1101355 used with cut-out 1116766. Your generator part number is clearly correct. The last 3 digits of the cut-out part number are stamped into the base and can be seen as correct . The 7E14 on your generator tag id a date code. The date is year 7 of some decade (assumed to be 1947) the rest of the code is May 14.

I did not know that Jim. Very good information. Since that was considered a serial number, I'm guessing there are multiple generators with the same serial number since I'm sure they made more than one in a single day?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:06 am

tst wrote:the axle nut leak, the surface where the seal rides, make sure it is contacting the nut so it can seal, it is easy to set the seal to the wrong depth and it will leak, on the pump make sure that is the orings leaking and not the line itself where it is welded

Yes.....I've had a lot of Cubs where the lines had been brazed where they contact the mounting flange.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:35 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:I did not know that Jim. Very good information. Since that was considered a serial number, I'm guessing there are multiple generators with the same serial number since I'm sure they made more than one in a single day?

Yes. It is only a date code, not a true serial number. in 1948 there were over 46,000 Cubs built. Delco had to produce nearly 1,000 every week just for Cubs. Meanwhile, the same generator was used on most other IH tractors as well as multiple other brands.

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:42 am

Jim Becker wrote:
AL Farmall Boy wrote:I did not know that Jim. Very good information. Since that was considered a serial number, I'm guessing there are multiple generators with the same serial number since I'm sure they made more than one in a single day?

Yes. It is only a date code, not a true serial number. in 1948 there were over 46,000 Cubs built. Delco had to produce nearly 1,000 every week just for Cubs. Meanwhile, the same generator was used on most other IH tractors as well as multiple other brands.

Yeah that is what I was thinking but the word serial number on the tag kind of threw me off.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:Gosh, I have a crank pulley that for the life of me can not get off! I've heated it with a torch and used a bearing seperator with 2 and 3 jaw puller to remove (with bolt in center) and it will not budge!! You make it look so easy.

I broke the first one I pulled, only because I had not read the "how not to remove a pulley" thread and did not use a support. Since then, I have pulled 3 of them and once the first pop, they come right off without any problems. Just remember to use a long enough bolt to get the pulley all the way off. I believe I use a 4 inch bolt to get it started and then replace with a 6 inch to get the pulley completely off.

Good luck!

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Jim Becker wrote:... It is only a date code, not a true serial number. in 1948 there were over 46,000 Cubs built. Delco had to produce nearly 1,000 every week just for Cubs. Meanwhile, the same generator was used on most other IH tractors as well as multiple other brands.

I presume the starters were similar in demand and identification? Perhaps in greater production numbers?

If so, do these numbers align with an early four digit Cub?
47 starter.jpg