This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Solar powered cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:00 am

Buzz, the candles have a solar ignitor - magnifying glass! Oops, doesn't work under a solar panel.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:23 pm

I read something about this once. I recall it being a 36V system, 12V to a panel, 3 panels. There's no way that thing can produce more than 5 amps total in bright sunlight, so I think that direct electric power is impossible. I don't think it would require a massive battery array like a forklift, because you only have to produce 10hp, probably more like a 3 battery system from an electric golf cart. I think that the pic in the field was more for effect than to illustrate that you can plow with electric power.

I could not see the engine clearly in the photo. I was wondering if it was really there, or if something else had taken its place.

In any event, we are not at the end of fossil fuel production, as they claim. I don't think we have to convert our cubs to electric this year, anyway. :twisted:

a better use for all those solar cells would be to run a little hydrogen producer, and pipe the hydrogen into the intake air, to cut down on the amount of gasoline used. 36V 3A would be enough for that, and he could probably take a tax credit...LOL I however think that the cubs do an amazing amount of work for the fuel they consume vs. larger tractors. Hence we can all call ourselves environmentalists every time we use them :D

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:59 pm

The bottom line is that there isn't anything that is going to magicly create energy. 3 amps at 36 volts is enough for a decent light bulb and that is about it. 5 amps or even 10 amps is still way short of 1 horsepower.

Maybe we should invite him to Cubarama so he can demonstrate it.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:07 pm

10 amps at 36 volts = 360 watts = .483 hp.
Better get more panels, many more :!:
8)

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:12 am

Is the panel REALLY attached to the tractor? There is a cable by M Howes hand, fixing of posts ??? Solar panel is tilted a bit towards the camera,
I think it is rather doubtful as suggested a solar powered Cub, as Virginia Mike says there seems to be a little ratty odour in the air.
I prefer to stick with someone's post of a wind powered Cub, what ever happened to it?
Pat

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:55 am

I got a fellin' this guy has only created a very LARGE SHADE BIMINY for his lowboy Cub! :oops:

SHADE FOR ALL...SUN POWER FOR A FEW...COSTLY ALTERNATIVE FOR ONE! :shock:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Tim-Devery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tim-Devery » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:48 am

When I was a kid in the "olden days" of the early 70's I used an GE Elec-Trak tractor. It cut the grass ok, but the best fun was taking it on Road Trips late at night.
56 LoBoy, 42" woods mower
JD-855 (to pull out the cub when stuck)

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:55 pm

How does the battery make the hydralics work?
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Tim-Devery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tim-Devery » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:29 pm

Small yard tractor. E-15
All electric. Front mower deck
No Hydro to mess with. kinda fun to use
I found a forum on-line, only three people registered, so I guess they are kinda rare also.
56 LoBoy, 42" woods mower

JD-855 (to pull out the cub when stuck)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:41 pm

Mike Schmudlach wrote:How does the battery make the hydralics work?

Psychokinesis!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:13 am

Information on a medium sized fork lift - from employer's fleet of about 80 different lifts.

Lift weights 6225 lbs with out battery. 8225 lbs with battery. Lifting capacity 3000 lbs. Lift travels about 8 MPH (top speed) on concrete floor. DC motor is rated at 1 1/2 HP - lift mechanics statement.

Battery requirement is 36 volt, 775 amp hour rating with a 6 hour discharge rate. Battery weighs one ton. Battery will last just about one shift. It takes from 4 to 6 hours to charge up the battery and another 4 to 6 hours to cool the battery before it can be used again.

Battery costs $6000 to $8000- and it takes about 2 1/2 batteries to operate the lift 24 hours a day. Average lift in employeers fleet accumulates about 4000 hours usage per year.

Just thought I would pass along the information.

We are still a long ways from using solar power to operate a farm tractor for any type of medium to heavy usage.

Eugene

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:08 pm

If he were generating power to run a carbide-hydrogen generator, theoretically.....36V @ 3A would produce enough to run a model airplane engine maybe, if it were supercharged with compressed air, or running on oxygen enriched air. Maybe he has one hell of a gear reduction installed....and plows at 1/4" / hour :twisted: