New to Cub Question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeeper75
Zip Code: 45415

New to Cub Question

Postby Jeeper75 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 am

Hello, everyone, new to the tractor scene, even though I do not even own one Yet! Went and looked at a 49 cub last night close to Dayton ohio. It stared up and ran pretty good. But when adjusting the throttle, the 1st notch was idle, 2nd kind of a high idle, and the 3rd notch it sounded as if she was going full bore. Is that normal? Seemed to be ruinning right on its edge and there were still more notches. I dare not go any further. I did not buy, but am l wanting to see whats normal and whats not. Thanks Brad

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New to Cub Question

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat May 19, 2018 9:53 am

The situation you've described is not normal. Some Possible causes, throttle adjustment needed, governor needs attention (spring, weights, bearings, others), wear in throttle linkage/connections. There are some more I'm sure. Others may chime in. The lever on the governor where the rod from the hand throttle connects has to move freely when the engine is not running. Cleaning and lubrication of the shaft and pivot may help.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Sat May 19, 2018 10:18 am

Jeeper75, Welcome to the forum. You are only a little over an hour from one of the biggest CubFests around. It will be held June 1st and 2nd in Harrison, Ohio. As a new person to Cubs, you would find it to be a great place to learn much about Cubs. Many of the forum members will be here all weekend sharing a lot of knowledge. Who knows, you might even find a decent Cub for sale in the area.

For more info about the CubFest go to this site www.barnyardbash.com
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jeeper75
Zip Code: 45415

Postby Jeeper75 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, hoping to find a cub soon, and maybe check out the cubfest near Cincinnati. thanks

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 pm

I had that issue a few years back with my 48. It was the govenor, the pin that connects the weights to the shaft had worked it's way out so it only gave you idle or WOT. It was an easy fix once we diiscovered what the problem was, and l'm not a mechanic.
That's the great thing about Cubs. They are about as easy to work on for us non mechanics as it gets. The folks here are a great help and wealth of knowledge. Don't give up on that Cub you looked at. If the price is right we can help you make it right. If you know how to hold a screwdriver or wrench someone can point you in the right direction.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?: