This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mechanical lift vs hydraulics

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rbruno
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21797

Mechanical lift vs hydraulics

Postby rbruno » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm

So my second question for the board as a new person to Cubs, I have an opportunity to look at a fairly early model Cub. I think it is either a 48 or 49. From the pictures it looks like it is good shape, missing the grille, and has not been changed much. It looks like it is still in the 6V condition and has lights. From the pictures though, it doesn't appear to have hydraulics, just the mechanical lift. My first question might be a little dumb, but would Cubs have ever come with both hydraulic and mechanical lift. I can see the handle for the mechanical lift so I know it has that. But, could it have both. If it doesn't, is it hard to convert or would it not be worth it, and I should just keep looking for one that already has hydraulics? is the pump and other parts of the hydraulic system internal and the tractor would have to be split to add them? I read a post about this on this forum but the post was really old and most of the links with the information were no longer available. Again the tractor looks in good shape and comes with a single plow and cultivators so I may not want to pass it up, but just wondering about the possibility of adding hydraulics if it isn't already there. And, if some view as adding something that was not from the factory to a old tractor as huge mistake, meaning the purist and restoration people would say never add to something that wasn't there, I would curious to hear that as well.
Thanks,
Rob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mechanical lift vs hydraulics

Postby Slim140 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Cub's didn't have both hand lift and hydraulics although if you want them both you can do it. Hydraulics didn't come out until a little later (I don't know what year, someone will tell us). It's not hard at all to convert an early one to hydraulic. We have an early 1947 I converted. All the holes are there to bolt everything to. The pump is external and bolts on the left side of the engine. Some people prefer hand lift over hydraulics, I have 3 bulging disc in my neck and I'm a hydraulic man. As far as restoration if you want your tractor original the hand lift would have been on the early ones.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:41 pm

47 didn’t have hydraulics, although you can add it. After 47, it was up to the buyer whether he wanted hand lift or hydraulics, if I’m not mistaken. Up to you if you want to add hydraulics. In my opinion, hand lift is ideal for mowing and a belly mounted blade. Otherwise, I prefer hydraulics. I have a 47 that I will put hand lift back on and put a blade on it
Thomas

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Some like having both when using cultivators so they can lift/lower the front separate from the rear.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm

I've been using my '48 with a hand lift for 50+ yrs. I've plowed, cultivated, sickle bar mowed, plowed snow, graded,and used with a belly mower. Handlift may not be for everyone, but there's nothing you can't do with it. I'm also a traditionalist so don't be afraid of the hand lift. I'm 59 now and may soon have to revert to my old way of pulling it back like l did when l was 9. Put my left foot on the gas tank and use both hands lol.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 pm

Look for a see through place in front of the dash to see if it does not have hydraulics. When it looks solid ,usually that is a touch control block.

I have seen pictures of Cubs with hydraulics that had a depth control lever attached for a plow. So ,a lever can make one think such a rig may not have hydraulics.

rbruno
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21797

Postby rbruno » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 am

Thanks again for all the advice. I started searching around for the hydraulic parts and found it hit or miss. The parts to rebuild or refresh it are everywhere, but finding the pump and all the pieces seem like it will be a little more challenging. I have a bad right shoulder so I guess I am glad the Cub was design with the lift lever on the left side. I will hopefully learn more when I look at the tractor next week.
Thanks,
Rob

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:37 am

Hand lift was an option all the way to 1979 but few late cubs had hand lift. 48 was first year to have hydraulics. I have a 48 that's hand lift. It is my mower tractor. The other 2 with hydraulics are my garden tractors.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:01 pm

I have been using the hand lift on my 1948 Cub for several years (plowing snow, plowing garden, mowing) without issue. I bought a parts tractor with a Touch Control which I saved when I sold other parts. I haven't gotten around to rebuilding and installing it yet though.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”