This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

distributor 180 degrees off?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
catmotorhead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48640

Re: distributor 180 degrees off?

Postby catmotorhead » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am

Jim I've watched both those videos.I have posted the timing video and have followed it perfectly easily 8 times. I'm moving forward, I don't believe timing is my main issue anymore.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am

AS long as you are sure. In that case, run the compression test as Eugene suggested. If the results are reasonable, the valves etc. should be working well enough to get it to start. Leave the gas off (so you don't accidentally flood it) and try to start it with a shot of starting fluid. If it will briefly start that way, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it fails the compression test, check valves for sticking and adjustment.

UK-Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: LA9

Postby UK-Cub » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:53 am

I'm fascinated by this post, unfortunately I'm 5 ish hours ahead so have to wait till the afternoon for progress updates.

:D
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am

catmotorhead wrote:Jim I've watched both those videos.I have posted the timing video and have followed it perfectly easily 8 times. I'm moving forward, I don't believe timing is my main issue anymore.

Can't resist ....
Just in case..
My 48 did not want to run last winter. It had all summer and fall.
Crank ,crank crank ,(you know what they mean by if a Cub won't start in 6 seconds?) with the muffler off and once in a while a ca-whoomph and puff of smoke out of the pipe.. Not the crack/pop of sound like a backfire.
Like one cylinder was firing now and then.
Ran the battery down a couple times before trying my sooty brain instead.
The problem was spark plug gaps being about twice what they should be.

catmotorhead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48640

Postby catmotorhead » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 pm

all is well. i was unaware that the cylinders were still in the 1,2,3,4 order. so i had my wires in the order of 1,3,4,2, runs like a top. thank you all for your help and support

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi,
Glad that you got it to run. :)

The cylinders are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, from the front of the engine to the rear, if that's what you meant above.

Return to “Farmall Cub”