This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO not engaging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08848
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO not engaging

Postby prjones » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 am

PTO will not engage on my 58 cub. I can press down lever and move back about 1/4 inch it stops. Looking for some advice on where to start looking for problem.
All hat and no cattle.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: PTO not engaging

Postby tmays » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 am

With engine running and clutch depressed, let out on clutch slightly while engaging pto and see if it slides in gear. Don’t grind it, just enough to turn the driveshaft a little. Just sounds like splines aren’t lined up
Thomas

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks, when clutch is about half way out it grinds tried several times same result. Have belly mower on it will take off belt and try it
All hat and no cattle.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:22 pm

On one of mine the shafts are misaligned (?) and it needs several pounds of hand pressure against p.y.o. lever while easing the clutch out to turn front shaft before it goes into place. Try not to grind ,but I do sometimes and it can take two or three tries. Those cases it might be just turning the shaft to a different position.
That's on the p.t.o. that was gone through. Trans shaft was not checked for straightness....
Disengages smoothly.

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 pm

I took the tension off the pulley and with a little grinding it went in gear. I am guessing that with tension it miss aligns. So something must be out of whack. Can I see anything by pulling the transmission shifter or do I have to pull from rear?
All hat and no cattle.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:05 pm

You'll need to remove it from the rear, or remove the lever first and see if the pin is badly worn.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Since the lever is only moving 1/4”, it sounds like pto collar is hitting end of driveshaft and stopping. Two things come to mind: both shafts are in line and splines just aren’t lined up or shafts are not in line. How much play is in the pto bearing? Grab the pto shaft and see how much play is there.
Even if the little nub on the pto lever is worn, it should move all the way back. Unless it is no longer riding in the collar
Thomas

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:53 pm

prjones wrote:I took the tension off the pulley and with a little grinding it went in gear. I am guessing that with tension it miss aligns. So something must be out of whack. Can I see anything by pulling the transmission shifter or do I have to pull from rear?

This strongly suggests a worn pilot bushing between the PTO shaft and upper transmission shaft. Pull from the rear. Using it this way will cause additional wear to both shafts and the shifter sleeve, which would be much more expensive repairs than a new bushing.

If Waif's situation is due to shaft misalignment, he may be in the same situation.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi,
Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new PTO pilot bushing, it goes at the front of the PTO shaft, in the rear end of the clutch shaft. It wears, then the end of the PTO shaft is loose in it.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/752fp.htm

Below is the Cub service manual. The PTO is in section 6A, I would recommend reading it before working on the PTO.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

You can remove the transmission oil filler plug, and look in the hole with a light, and see the PTO clutch, makes it easier for installing the PTO.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the rear of the clutch shaft, showing the PTO spline, and the pilot bushing.
I think one of the guys on here wrote that he used a drill bit the size of the OD of the bushing, and drilled the old bushing out from the rear. You probably need a long drill bit, the differential is there.
Grease the ID of the pilot bushing and the front end of the PTO shaft before installing the PTO.
Attachments
Cub trans shaft 7.jpg
Cub trans shaft 7.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 629 times

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Thank all, it does sound like the bushing. Will do some reading and wrenching
All hat and no cattle.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:36 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
prjones wrote:I took the tension off the pulley and with a little grinding it went in gear. I am guessing that with tension it miss aligns. So something must be out of whack. Can I see anything by pulling the transmission shifter or do I have to pull from rear?

This strongly suggests a worn pilot bushing between the PTO shaft and upper transmission shaft. Pull from the rear. Using it this way will cause additional wear to both shafts and the shifter sleeve, which would be much more expensive repairs than a new bushing.

If Waif's situation is due to shaft misalignment, he may be in the same situation.

Pardon the off topic.

Oh ,I'm messed up and unaligned alright!l.o.l..
Busted in half tranny tube scabbed together by a p.o. hints of possible stress on tranny shaft.
P.T.O. and clutch were serviced when tranny tube was replaced.
P.T.O. was gone through and the shaft seemed fine ,but neither shaft was checked on a flat surface. I mentioned front bushing fit to be double checked before assembly too.
Clutch ain't behaving right after replacing ,so another split may be forthcoming if the handhole does not turn up a better option. Going to kick my "tractor guy" under there first.I suspect clutch fingers causing a whup whup .

The 53 clutch and p.t.o. clutch are near perfect though.....!
Two boxes of parts to peck away with on both tractors are not empty yet. Another split will have to wait it's turn till winter.

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Well I am a little confused I have read about the PTO and pulled it from the tractor. I have no idea where this bushing is. I have looked at the shaft and the breakdown of the PTO in the service manual and don't see the pilot bushing. Can someone point this out to me
All hat and no cattle.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi,
The PTO pilot bushing is still in the transmission case after removing the PTO. It is in the end of the shaft that drives the PTO, up in front of the differential gear ring gear.

Try using a light, and looking in from the rear, if you have the PTO out of the case, and you will see the spline shaft, it is short, and in the upper part of the case. It looks like in my pic above, of the end of the shaft.

If the bushing is completely wornout, there will be little of it to see, just the hole in the end of the shaft.

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 pm

Ok I'll look tomorrow. But how to get it out don't know if I can get my hands on in there?
All hat and no cattle.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:27 am

Hi,
You need to remove the rear cover, so you have room to get your hands inside the case.

Drain the trans oil using the drain plug first, it is visible from under the platform. Water will usually be in the bottom of the case, if there is any water in it, and run out the drain plug hole.

Good time to change the transmission oil. It holds 3 1/2 pints. The level plug is low on the left side of the trans, maybe you knew already.

I wrote at my first post above, someone on here used a drill bit, and drilled out the old bushing. The bit has to be exactly the right size.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of inside the case, with no gears in it. I don't have a pic of the case with gears in it. The shaft is at the upper small hole inside the case, where the bearing is.
Attachments
Cub trans 9.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”