Jump starting / hand cranking

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
livemusic
Zip Code: 71064

Jump starting / hand cranking

Postby livemusic » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Continuing saga regarding an old Cub I bought.

I have one of these little portable jump starter gizmos available to me... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 00ZP-00043

Could I use this to crank a 1956 Cub? I suspect that the 6v battery that is in this old Cub I bought is bad... it won't charge and heck, it's stamped circa 2002!

I went to buy a 6v battery yesterday but they didn't have the right size. If I could crank it before buying a battery, I'd prefer that as I bought it used and don't know if it will even run.

Second part of this is I finally found somebody who has a hand crank (mine is missing) and now that I have it, two people tell me I'm an idiot for even considering cranking by hand... that it could break your arm. I have no idea but I don't want to get hurt lol.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Jump starting / hand cranking

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Prime the oil pump, first thing - - - - - FIRST THING. For directions and photos on how to prime the oil pump, use search function top left of the page.

How to safely hand crank the Cub, again search function. I think there is a video available. And no, you are not going to break your arm.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking over your portable battery booster. I think there is enough power there to start your Cub if you disconnect the battery and then hand crank. There is certainly not enough power in the battery booster to start the tractor. If the tractor starts, only run the tractor for a short time. The battery booster pack is more than likely 12 volts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:47 pm

You are better off jumping with a regular 12-volt battery as explained in the thread "Cranking 6v Cub with 12v battery". Pull starting with another tractor is another option if you have one available. I am not inclined to hand crank a tractor with an unknown maintenance history.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Highly unlikely you are going to get it to start with a hand crank until you have checked it out. There's lots of gremlins that will keep one from starting that has been sitting for a while.

livemusic

Postby livemusic » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:17 pm

BTW, I had a shade tree mechanic type guy go over the Cub. Cleaned carb, cleaned gas tank, changed oil, changed spark plugs, drained radiator and put in fresh water, turned motor over with hand crank, I am not sure if he did anything else but he did whatever he thought it needed. I will review my threads on this forum regarding what to do. We did discuss pulling it off, I guess that could work, although, I do have dry rot tire problem. One rear tire is newer and in great shape, one is in bad shape with bad cracks and not holding air, the two front tires are kind of gnarly looking but holding air. Dang tires! I wonder if that bad rear tire would hold up to pulling it off. He said it does have a magneto.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi,
Below is a post I made showing how to prime the oil pump. It is about half way down the page.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765&start=60

Below is the late 1955 Cub owner's manual, the experts on here recommend reading it, it has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1. It has pics of how the Cubs originally looked.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Cubs use a Group 1, 6volt battery. NAPA sells them here in the west USA.

Most 1956 Cubs have a Battery Ignition unit, but it could have a magneto. Below are pics of them, the 1st pic is a Battery Ignition unit, the 2nd is a magneto, from TM Tractor.
Attachments
Cub.jpg
Cub magneto 5.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:35 pm

A lot of folks on this site are much better than a shade tree mechanic. You might want to pay particular heed to what the guys are telling you

Two of us suggested priming the oil pump. Could ruin your engine if you don't.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Waif
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 pm

A 56 you are leaning towards a battery ignition.
Mind the oil pump as mentioned. Why ruin a potentially good engine?
Patience wins. Get the right battery. Be sure how it should be grounded. Clean connections. Premium grounding contact. Proper size cables .
Be very sure transmission is in neutral before cranking. Make sure switch is on. Gas on. Slight choke or none, throttle roughly a third advanced.
A Cub does not roar when starting. More like a subtle popping off, then zoom.
Disconnect ground when not using it until you are sure of wiring and switch condition.
If it don't fire check spark first.

Your point gap ,plug gap ,and timing matter. Ya, I had a guy tune one and the plug gap was too great. Found that out in winter...So if you have fire but no vroom double check them.
Your valves would be worth checking once the usual tune up items and fuel and spark and timing are out of the equation.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 am

I have jump started many tractors with a 12 volt battery pack. Just remember, standard connection for a 6 volt is + (positive) ground and be sure to connect your battery pack the same way. For thos of you that say you should not jump start a 6 volt tractor with a 12 volt battery pack, George Willer, one of the most knowledgeable
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

livemusic

Postby livemusic » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have jump started many tractors with a 12 volt battery pack. Just remember, standard connection for a 6 volt is + (positive) ground and be sure to connect your battery pack the same way. For thos of you that say you should not jump start a 6 volt tractor with a 12 volt battery pack, George Willer, one of the most knowledgeable

It appears that your post got cut off at the end?

How, exactly, would you hook up the positive and negative cables of the battery pack?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:27 pm

You put pos to pos and neg to neg.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:52 pm

If it has a working magneto you can hand crank it to start without a battery. Just follow the instructions on how to.
If it is a distributor and not a magneto, you need a charged battery to crank start it.
Instead of piece mealing information, go through the What to do with cub you just brought home thread and check off what has and hasn't been done.

Good luck
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:57 pm

livemusic wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have jump started many tractors with a 12 volt battery pack. Just remember, standard connection for a 6 volt is + (positive) ground and be sure to connect your battery pack the same way. For thos of you that say you should not jump start a 6 volt tractor with a 12 volt battery pack, George Willer, one of the most knowledgeable

It appears that your post got cut off at the end?

How, exactly, would you hook up the positive and negative cables of the battery pack?
Yup, my mind tends to wander, aand it is too little to let out by itself.

Meant to say George Willer, one of the most knowledgeable people on the forum (unfortunately now deceased, a big loss to us all), had me jump start one of his tractors with my 12 volt booster pack at the first Cub Tug, and he stated he had never found any reason not to.

Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub

Postby Shane N. » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 am

I've jumped a 6V tractor many times with a 12V booster pack, it drains the 12V booster really quickly but hasn't hurt anything. I've also jumped a 6V tractor with my truck, didn't hurt anything but it didn't take much to get the tractor running either.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
You can't have a million dollar dream with a minimum wage work ethic.
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:05 am

Jump starting a 6 volt tractor with a 12 volt booster drains the booster quickly because you are not only spinning the starter, but shoving a lot of current into the 6 volt battery at the same time. The same thing with a weak 12 volt battery. If using a vehicle to jump start anything, always remember, most jumper cables sold are actually booster cables, meaning they are for boosting something with a weak battery. The normal cables sold are not heavy enough to carry full starting current. If using your "booster" cables to start a 12 volt vehicle with a dead battery,it usually requires letting your vehicle charge the other one's battery few minutes before a successful start