This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub sreering

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob m.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub sreering

Postby Bob m. » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:01 pm

My cub has about 1/4 round of play in the steering wheel. The steering rods seem to be tight enough. My guess is that the worm gear is worn out. I pulled it out and it looked ok to the untrained eye. Any one got any other ideas. Also about a half cup of water ran out the drain on the steering box when I removed the plug. I guess its safe to assume thats cooling water. If anyone can tell me what my problems are and a guess on cost of parts if they are available, Thanks Bob m.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:13 pm

Bob, the water is likely rain etc. that has run down the steering shaft and into the gear box. The seal probably needs replacing.
As far as the excess play in the steering - look again at the steering wheel shaft and see if it appears to move in and out of the gearbox as you turn the wheel. You may need to replace the thrust washers on that shaft. You can do that while replacing the seal.
Also look at the steering arm under the gearbox that connects to the tie rods. There is a castellated nut there that may need to be tightened up.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bob m.
10+ Years
10+ Years

cub steering

Postby Bob m. » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply birddog. I hope your right about the water in the box.I forgot to mention that there was no oil in the box. Don't know where it went. Guess it leaked out. As for as the thrust washers are concirned I dont recall seeing any. Don't know if would know one if I saw it. I will take the worm out and hace a closer look tomorrow. thanks agan Bob m.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:59 pm

If there's a lot of end-play in that shaft, that is part of the problem
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:30 am

my cub had a worn out keyway on the steering wheel end of the shaft. there was more play between the steering wheel and shaft than in all the rest of the system.
phantom

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:02 am

When I drained my gear box the water came out quicly and the gear oil is still oozing out. I was thinking of putting some K-1 in there and letting it sit for a bit and then draining it out before I take it apart.

I have the new seal but am working on the back end forward. I also have some play in the wheel
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bob m.
10+ Years
10+ Years

cub steering

Postby Bob m. » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:21 pm

I checked for end play and found only 1/16. Play is in the box and not in the s. wheel. I was hopeing that it could be adjusted out but I guess not. Thanks agan for the replies and help.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:57 pm

Check for vertical movement of the sector shaft. Slack can be taken out of that by tightening the nut on the bottom. There should be plenty of prior posts you can search for that have more details.

Return to “Farmall Cub”