This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical issues and oil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MattBagley
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06001

Electrical issues and oil

Postby MattBagley » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm trying to get my grandfathers farmal F Cub tractor to start but there is some damaged wiring around the fuse that needs to be fixed and I am not sure how to do that. It also needs an oil change and I'm not sure what kind of oil o need to use.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Electrical issues and oil

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Welcome to the FORUM. After you have 2 posts you can access and download the manuals from the Quicklinks tab at the top left corner of this page. You'll find wiring diagrams, lubrication information, Operators/Parts/Repair manuals as well as a lot of other information about Cubs. Check the serial number on the data plate fastened to the lower right side of the radiator support (bolster) and check the number against the table in the Cub Info section at the top of this page. Depending on the ignition system either magneto or battery type there's different procedures for troubleshooting the starting problems. Good Luck and post back with more info and someone will chime in to help you get it started. Oh yeah, BTW, you might need to prime the oil pump before you try starting the engine.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

xraycajun
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70769

Postby xraycajun » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Welcome!

You've came to the BEST place to learn about your cub. One year ago I brought home my grandfather's cub. The information and helpful individuals on this site have helped guide me through an engine overhaul and steering rebuild! Find the casting date on your block, then find the appropriate owner's manual stored on this site and you'll be on your way!

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 am

Your wiring issue will depend a little on type of ignition you got. Battery coil or magneto. Based on that answer a shortcut can be wired in temporarily just to get it started and then get everything correctly wired later

Engine oil you will get a thousand different answers and they are all correct more than likely. I personally use rotella 15w 40. Some will have a long drawn out technical reason why a specific oil is better. Just remember they are 1947 technology. They ain't picky.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:44 pm

FIRST thing, prime the oil pump. Stan also said to prime the oil pump.

Second thing, compression tests, dry then wet. Don't spend your time or money on anything else until you have good compression. No compression on one or more cylinders and your engine may not or will not start.

Engine oil, your choice, usually any brand and weight on hand and used in your vehicles, machines. Only engine oil I would not use in old/antique engines is synthetic oil.
I have an excuse. CRS.

xraycajun
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70769

Postby xraycajun » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:23 pm

It may be well worth your time as well to check for stuck valves by removing the access panel that is just under the manifold. Do this especially if you have low/no compression.

Return to “Farmall Cub”