This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Postive ground strap question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postive ground strap question

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:12 pm

http://www.tmtractor.com/el/1247fp.htm

I got one of these straps from Tom at TM. when I got it I thought this looks awfully short to go from Batt. terminal to the batt box mount. The strap is only 7" long. I dont have A batt yet to try it but does anyone know if this is going to work or do I need a longer one? Thanks again Alan

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:22 pm

The straps I sell are 13" long to rap around the batt and connect at the batt box bolt under the batt. I also have the cable that goes to the starter. Bill

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby awander » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:51 pm

I got one of the same ones from TM, and it is just the right size to go from the Positive post to the left-side wall of the battery box.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:19 pm

Alan:

It is exactly the correct length for a positive ground system as designed by IH. I made my own, but for all intents and purposes, Tom's is bang on.

If you connect the positive terminal of your battery to the hole in the side of the battery box, then you have established a good ground. Works very well.

HOWEVER!

You must have good contact at the mounting holes for the box. I took a wire wheel and brushed the mounting tabs on Ellie, and made sure bare metal was visible on the box itself.

Check out Rudi's Battery Box. It is shown quite well ifn I may say so....

:roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:23 pm

I went a step further-in addition to getting down to bare metal between the strap and teh battery box, and between the battery box bottom and the frame, I put in an extra cable from the outside of the ground strap hole on the battery box, which runs down and through one of the holes that the rust has eaten through the bottom rear of the battery box, and the other end of the cable is attached to one of the battery box mounting bolts.

i don't recommend you poke a hole in a good bopx for this purpose, but the hole was just sitting there...I wanted to use it for something. :?
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:02 pm

OK thanks Rudi I had always thought they mounted to the bottom of Batt box but sounds good thats how Ill try it to the side of batt. box thanks again for the input. Alan

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:26 pm

Alan:

It's the hole on the left side of the box near the top, centered between the front and back of the box.

It took me a long time to actually find a picture of the ground strap that I couold actually make heads or tails of-don't remember where I finally found it-maybe in the parts manual?
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:35 am

This is how I attached my ground strap.

Thanks to BigDog!!
Then came Bronson