Anybody Repopping '59 Headlight Wiring?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Anybody Repopping '59 Headlight Wiring?

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:53 am

OK, I'm finally back onto the headlight wiring. Since the repro wiring uses two separate wires rather than a pair that is molded together, I decided to just do it myself. The problem with my old ones was hard and cracked insulation that was exposing wire. It was impossible to bend without cracking some more. The rubber grommet was still OK, so I pulled the old wires out and stuck the new ones through it. (Don't put the second connector on until after you stick the wire through the grommet.)

Here is what the old and new looked like before I put the second connector on each wire.

headlightWire1s.jpg

And here it is complete and installed.

headlightWire2s.jpg

I still needed some 209 bulbs (6-volt for the red in a combo light). Of course, nobody nearby stocks them. I decided to order from McMaster-Carr, $9.25 for a box of 10. Since I was putting in an order, I decided to replenish some of the connectors I was running low on. While looking up the connectors, I found they have 14g jumper wires with a ring connector on each end. One choice is 24" long with red insulation, $16.00 for 10. The light wires need to be in the 15 to 18 inch length range. Just cut to length, fish through the grommet, and put the other end on. The cut off end is long enough for inside a light with a socket on the back.

Here is my McMaster order.

wiringConnectorss.jpg

I used the McMaster jumpers to redo a rear light. (If nobody makes headlight wires with 2 conductors molded together, no point looking for rear light wires with 3 molded together.) The ring connectors are correct for 2 wires. The third I had to make up with a lamp socket on one end and a spade connector on the other.

Here is what those looked like after they were installed.

taillightWires.jpg

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 am

Nice neat job, Jim! Sure makes life easier to be able to quickly disconnect those wires when removing the hood/tank. :D

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:27 am

Cubfriend wrote:Bob, Let me know how you come out. If there is enough interest maybe they will do a batch of them. I know I can use some. This should be a stocking item. Most people with late 58 to early 64 Cubs (6 volt) can use these. They may also be the same for some tractors besides Cubs. Good Luck, Frank

Pretty sure the Farmall 140 tractors of that era had the same wiring.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor: