just how hot?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
yellercub
Zip Code: 17345
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall C
!970 International Cub

just how hot?

Postby yellercub » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:20 pm

OK, Dumb question time. Just how hot should my coil be, after riding around for say 1/2 to 3/4 hour on my 1970 cub? :roll:

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: just how hot?

Postby Glen » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi,
On a 75 degree day, the coil on my Cub is warm, but not hot, after 30 minutes of use. I can put my hand on it, and it is not hot. :)

yellercub
!970 International Cub

Postby yellercub » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:27 am

Well, mine is getting hotter than a two dollar pistol. As you know Glen, I have been ironing out the bugs in my cub and after setting the gov/carb linkage, as you suggested, and flattening out the warped throttle body, it seems to be running pretty well. However, I am still getting an occasional miss and hesitation.I am thinking the coil is breaking down. I also can't get the idle down lower than 550-600 rpm. I don't know if a bad coil could be causing me trouble there as well. It is also a replacement "Made in China " coil of unknown vintage.
Last edited by yellercub on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi,
Cubs need a good tune up, like cars with distributors and ignition points in the past.
The points have to be good, and not burned, and set to the right gap, so the engine will run good. The distributor cap contacts, rotor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs all have to be good.
The timing needs setting with a timing light.
The Cub owner's manual shows the points and setting the gap.

You could try putting on a new coil. Some of the people on here have said use one from NAPA, you could ask them if it is made in the USA before buying it.

Your Cub was originally 12 volts, they may have had the external resistor for the coil, near the coil. If you use that, then you need a coil for use with external resistor.
If you want original, I think Case IH still has a replacement coil package that comes with a coil and bracket.
The original coil IH used for years was a smaller diameter than car style coils, and had the 2 power wire connections on the opposite end from the spark plug wire. There are probably pics of it in the owner's manual. If you replace one of those with a regular coil, you need a bracket made to fit the new coil.

TM Tractor also has new coils, and a bracket. :)

IHCFan1950
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) A.K.A "Smokey the Great Bear Cub"
1951 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250

Postby IHCFan1950 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Well, the first mistake was putting a Chinese coil on an American tractor! :lol: Just kidding! But I do think that your coil is going bad. I believe it is time for a new one. How old is the one that is on it?
If a sharp rap with your hammer doesn't work, you know it's an electrical problem! :lol:

Circle of Safety

yellercub
!970 International Cub

Postby yellercub » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Well, the coil was on it when I bought it about 5 or so weeks ago, so I have no idea how old it is. I did do a tune up, cleaned and gapped the plugs, lightly filed and set points, set idle as best I could and set timing. I was given a new set of plug wires when I bought the cub, so I replaced them.
I was getting an occasional back fire before and after the tune up, but not since I went over the carb, at least not yet. I believe that is also a possible sign of a failing coil.

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub
1951 Cub (sold)
Tufline 5' disc (old heavy type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub)
5' home made bush hog mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:38 pm

If you have 12v system and the regulator type 12 to 6v for the coil hot wire then instead of the resistor get an actual voltage reducer. It doesn't use a coil to add resistance which doesn't actually lower the voltage. But I instead get the coil which is made for 12v and has the voltage regulator built in. I then removed the regulator. And since mine had 6v lights I also had to change the bulbs. But check yours as they say on them if 6 or 12 volt. And I'm not sure the 70 Cubs were originally 12v. If not mistaken only the last year were true 12 v and thought others were just converted. Many even the 40's version had a kit or similar to what I did as the higher voltage we're cheaper and also the higher the voltage the less loss from small gauge wires. Which also lowers the cost as u can use smaller ground and battery cables and still have great starter speed to crank on cold days vs the more costly 6v systems.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:16 am

Hi,

IH changed the Cubs to 12 volt, negative ground systems during 1964, at serial number 224401.
Below are pages from the 1965 Cub owner's manual, showing the electrical system.
Begin reading at Electrical System on the page. The manual is made for 6 or 12 volt Cubs. Both systems are shown in it.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-25.jpg

This page below shows under the hood, the starter is different, no pull rod as the 6 volt starter had.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-26.jpg

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:56 am

Backfire: check for sticky valves, timing correct and plug wires on correctly, 1. 3, 4, 2.

yellercub
!970 International Cub

Postby yellercub » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:31 pm

I did a little digging on the internet and from the part numbers on my coil, I am pretty sure it is a 6 volt. This does not surprise me as the gentleman I bought the cub from, suggested I buy a trickle charger, as the 6 volt battery was always going dead. I said "It is a 6 volt?" and he said "Yes". It is not a 6volt and never was a 6 volt. It had a 12 volt battery in it and lights, generator, etc, are 12volt. I don't have any idea why he thought it was a 6 volt. All the extras he gave me were 6 volt.
Any way, I replaced the coil today with a 12 volt and the cub is running smoother and no misses or back fires so far. It feels different, like it has more power. However the coil is still very hot to the touch, after running it for awhile. This may be normal as I don't think I ever paid attention to a coil after driving, in my life time, even in my youth when I drove standard ignition cars and trucks and did tune ups.
Any way the cub seems smoother and stronger. I will go back over my idle speeds again and recheck the timing. Baby steps but I'm getting there.

Return to “Farmall Cub”