Snow plow

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RogerDoger
Zip Code: 06043

Snow plow

Postby RogerDoger » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:28 pm

I have a ‘49 and found someone with the snowplow attachment. I’m looking for advice on approximate value if it has everything as apposed to missing bolts. Also any advice on winterizing the Cub. Thanks all!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Snow plow

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Depending on the availability of Cub implements where you are, I've seen them go from $150-$400. You might want to print off a parts diagram from the manual, or from TM Tractor that has the parts laid out on a pallet. Take it with you to make sure you get everything. Sometimes pieces get left on the tractor it was taken off of. The 54-A is the most desirable, you probably don't want the leveling/grader blade (earliest version) if you plan on using it.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Bob
What is wrong with the early leveling/grading blade? I've been using one for over 45 yrs and never had a problem either in front or underneath. Works great, and l only have a hand lift, no TC.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:08 am

k hutchins wrote:Bob
What is wrong with the early leveling/grading blade? I've been using one for over 45 yrs and never had a problem either in front or underneath. Works great, and l only have a hand lift, no TC.

Edit: Somehow my reply didn't post. I just think the 54 and 54-A are beefier in the blade "wishbone" and lift arms. Not to say the early version doesn't work, but IH must have had some concerns or complaints that motivated the design changes.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 am

I agree. I used the early version for years with no problems. I've upgraded to a 54A only because one fell in my lap.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

RogerDoger
Zip Code: 06043

Postby RogerDoger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:54 am

Thank you guys for the input, I’ll be doing some further part research. They aren’t readily available in my area

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:52 pm

They work just fine, but having to remove a nut and bolt to change angle raqther than just dropping in a pin, along with only having 3 holes for blade pitch, make the later ones more desirable.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:41 pm

ricky racer wrote:I agree. I used the early version for years with no problems. I've upgraded to a 54A only because one fell in my lap.

Ouch! :lol:

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks for that input John. Having never used a 54 or 54a, l never knew what difference there was. Yes pulling a nut and bolt to change the angle is a pain, especially if you're knee deep in snow. It can also be a pain lining the holes back up to re-incert. My solution, l never change the angle, it's always tipped farthest to the right. It works for me, and after 45 yrs l've learned to work with my set up.
Just goes to show, what's good for one doesn't always work for everyone.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:22 pm

I use a 54A. As already stated, you can change the angle by just pulling a pin. However, it does require getting off and on the tractor. So I almost never change the angle, it's always tipped farthest to the right. Occasionally it would work better in another position, but not enough better to get off the tractor.

When I belly mount it to do grading, I do use different angles. For that, I find the early blade really inconvenient.

TallCoolOne58
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Winterizing-6 volt? 5W-20 in the crankcase, 90 octane ethanol-free fuel, always fill your fuel tank after your job, once it cools down, to minimize condensation in fuel tank. Some Heet (red bottle) in the tank before the daybreak temp consistently drops to 32 F or less is a good plan. Good battery, with a trickle charger hooked up between uses is never a bad idea. Wheel weights and chains are a must. A 5-10 minute warm up helps maximize power before you plow. Work within your machine's limitations, raise the blade before you hit the snow bank. If necessary, use less than a full blade to push snow. Set your blade to 'curl' snow to minimize overflow over the top of the blade. Adjust your skid shoe height according to the surface you're plowing. There it is.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:26 pm

If you use this you do not have to worry about angling your blade.
snow plow front - Copy.JPG

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'59 International Lo-Boy
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm

I always had the plow to the right also but in doing so wasted half a trip since my drive is too steep to plow up hill. I was one of the early adopters of the hydraulic blade conversion. Really made a difference,it was actually fun to plow. Somewhere here Rudi posted my write up. I'll bet the photobucket pictures are all messed up now. All these years later though I found an even better way to deal with the snow and that is go to Florida from November til May. After being outside my whole working career can't honestly say I miss it.

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:34 am

TallCoolOne58

I agree with everything you stated. Good info for some of the novice 1st time snowplowers.
Warm up is criticle, as well as not biting off more than you can chew. I've seen posts on here where members have their Cub confused with a bulldozer. The only full width push l make is the first one, and even then, if the snow is too deep l leave the blade "up" so l don't bite off too much.
I hope this info helps others.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:21 am

Here are a few more suggestions on plowing technique.

1) Try to not let the task get out of hand. I usually wait for it to stop snowing before I plow. But if it has accumulated a large amount (8 or 10 inches) with no end to the storm in sight, I'll go do it during the storm. I think I did that once last winter.

2) Push the snow far enough from the area you are clearing so there is room for the NEXT snowfall. Remember that you will probably be storing that snow pile for the rest of winter and you will have another pile from the next storm.

3) Know which way your prevailing wind comes from. Pile your snow DOWNWIND of your drive. Next time you have wind blown snow, your drive will only fill up to the depth of the snow on the upwind side. If the snow pile is upwind, your drive will fill up to the top of the snow pile.