New 193 plow question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub
1951 Cub (sold)
Tufline 5' disc (old heavy type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub)
5' home made bush hog mounts on drawbar
Circle of Safety: Y

New 193 plow question

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:43 pm

I FINALLY got some plow bolts...

BUT they are longer than what was on em originally.

The old ones have flat washers and some have hex head while most are square headed nuts.

My questions are

1) should I add lock washers
2) should I cut the bolts to just be as long as nuts with washers installed or if they have 1/8"-1/2" sticking out is this ok especially on the slat wings as I don't see much wear happening there. But I'll take others advice....
3)is it best to have em all square or hex ??? (I'm leaning to square as a crescent wrench on tractor would then work on everything) I'd have to run to garage to get hex head socket n wrench to do field fixes if I do the latter.)
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
1950 Cub
1951 Cub (sold)

Re: New 193 plow question

Postby BullDAWG » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:28 pm

ANYONE???
IS THIS THING ON????
Guess not many here work on IH Implements....
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."

Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub

Postby Shane N. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 pm

All personal preference on lock washers and nuts and bolt length.

I use a crescent wrench on hex bolts sometimes. There’s no laws saying you can’t. Don’t tell anybody but I’ve also used a crescent wrench as a hammer if I get frustrated enough or if I don’t have a hammer with me.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
You can't have a million dollar dream with a minimum wage work ethic.
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Shane Nelson wrote:’ve also used a crescent wrench as a hammer

And a screwdriver as a prybar or chisel.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub

Postby Shane N. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Shane Nelson wrote:’ve also used a crescent wrench as a hammer

And a screwdriver as a prybar or chisel.

Yerp. I think I have more broken flathead screwdrivers than good ones because of that OR it could be from whacking on them with a crescent wrench.

A crescent wrench and a flathead screwdriver work good at cleaning red dirt out between disc when it’s to wet to cut land but you tell yourself it isn’t.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
You can't have a million dollar dream with a minimum wage work ethic.
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:14 pm

BullDAWG wrote:ANYONE???
IS THIS THING ON????
Guess not many here work on IH Implements....

Lots of us out here work on IH implements. Unless you are inviting a squad of 'Correct Police' to inspect your plow, answers to your questions are a matter of personal preference, so your own answers are the correct ones.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
1950 Cub
1951 Cub (sold)

Postby BullDAWG » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Lots of us out here work on IH implements. Unless you are inviting a squad of 'Correct Police' to inspect your plow, answers to your questions are a matter of personal preference, so your own answers are the correct ones.

Bill

:hattip:
Thanks ya'll, I just saw that from factory all the bolts were sized down to 1/8" so as to be just long enough to have a thread past nuts from the factory and was worried they did that for a really good reason, not just save a penny on a 1 1/4" bolt vs a 1 1/8". As now its hard to find plow bolts around here. But forget about finding em in 1/8" increments....

and my preference is the square nuts as they are just easier to get a crescent wrench on tight and not round corners like a hex head. And like I said it just makes tools needed in the field simple... (note I also have one big crescent and a smaller one along with 2 flat heads... and one of each shows the scars of being used as a hammer and or a scraper or pry bar LOL)...

on a side note, hope ya'll know I was kiddin about "is this on" & "no one works on implements", I knew it would get someone to reply LOL just sometimes ya need to put a fire under some ppl butt to get em movin :)): + :evil: = :{_}: LOL :thanx:
ImageCircle of Safety

MiCarl
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:11 am

The only reason I can see to bother shortening them is to keep them from collecting dirt and making it a bigger job to remove the nut.

The problem I have with square nuts is for me they always seem to end up at an angle where something interferes with the wrench handle. Agreed though they're a better fit for adjustable wrenches and channel locks.

I broke the tip on a screwdriver using it as a pry bar. At Home Depot looking for screw drivers the employee asks if I broke my old one prying with it and I answered yes. He tried to show me his selection of pry bars. I told him no thanks, I just made one out of a screwdriver. :D
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
1950 Cub
1951 Cub (sold)

Postby BullDAWG » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:34 am

MiCarl wrote:The problem I have with square nuts is for me they always seem to end up at an angle where something interferes with the wrench handle. Agreed though they're a better fit for adjustable wrenches and channel locks.

I broke the tip on a screwdriver using it as a pry bar. At Home Depot looking for screw drivers the employee asks if I broke my old one prying with it and I answered yes. He tried to show me his selection of pry bars. I told him no thanks, I just made one out of a screwdriver. :D

Almost all of the plow bolts are in open area, the only ones that might be a pain is the plow point on my plow chiefs, but even they are relatively open (over 45 deg) so if I can't hit em one way I can flip wrench n hit em other way. I'm actually over doing it as I could have just ran with it as it was. I just want all new hardware as I plan on using my plows often for at least first few years. Once I get land all turned and tons of neighbors manure added and land is all loose loam then I might not use plows often. But I wanted it with all new or parts over 90% so I can be sure all of it should do well without a hitch. Funny thing is I bought the 193 plow only to be parts for my A-295-A plow ( 2 bottom plow for a SA-140) as 90% of the parts on it are same as either the plow on front or back of the A-295-A and the front coulter on the 295 is the same as the 193 (only differences is the beam and the spring set up on the beam to drawbar). But both the 193 and the A-195-A were in such good shape that I couldn't part it out. The most difficult thing on both was the coulters. They all 3 were frozen as sitting up for years the grease in em hardened and they couldn't turn. I soaked them in PB Blaster for a week and got 4 of the 6 bushings freed up, but of course both the front coulter on the 295 and the SAME style coulter on the 193 had 1 bushing each that wanted to test me :P But a torch and some leather gloves fixed that. (Note the rear coulter on the 295 is different than the front one and the one on the 193) but almost all the other parts from the slat wings to bottom and shin are all the same. I spent $350 for the A-295-A and $150 for the 193. But just the hardware (alemites, square nuts and bolts cost over $350) but I have some good nuts and bolts extra now and replacing alemites on tractor and bush hog too so it was actually cheaper than that if you factor that in). And now instead of selling just the beam and spring that goes on drawbar. I have a 2nd plow that can go on my 1950 Cub so while I'm plowing on the SA my son or grandson (when a little older) can jump in and help on the cub.... So my plans have changed but at least I got 2 plows that are over 95% new or NOS... And can have a family plow day at my house :)
ImageCircle of Safety