How to hook up a choke

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How to hook up a choke

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:23 pm

The knurling on the shaft is probably worn down (smooth). You might try shimming with some pop can strips or cut a slot in the shaft with a Dremel and insert a thin metal "key" (kind of like the link Stanton gave you to Lurker Carl's fix).
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Mrblanche
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 75104

Re: How to hook up a choke

Postby Mrblanche » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Cubguy53 wrote:Thanks guys! The choke hook up makes so much sense now! Planning on hooking it up tonight. Last night I drained the gearcase and it had water in it. Gonna get some more 80-90 gear oil to put in it tonight. Thinking I might buy a cheap oil to run through it to clean the water out. Hope my bearings are ok!

Hy-Tran is formulated to absorb water. It's not cheap; much more than kerosene or diesel oil, but if you want to remove water from your tranmission safely, it's one way to do it. And you CAN just run that in your gear boxes, although I probably wouldn't, long-term. It can absorb something like 6% water.