This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Why voltage regulators fail

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Why voltage regulators fail

Postby DickB » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 am

I'm on my 4th VR. Call that 5 if you'd count the one I returned as it failed in a day. The original lasted for years. The failed ones with one exception were foreign made...in India I believe. The last to fail was USA made and was just over 2 years old.

I talked to John Brillman (brillman.com) who sold the USA made VR to me; he felt the failure was due to the 6v battery not being maintained and, offering me free shipping (nice of him, I thought) on a new VR, he also offered a suggestion. John felt that a trickle charger was essential to the tractor's set up, and not having one caused the generator (I hope I get this right...) at starting up to push a really oversized jolt of electricity through the VR. And that jolt overpowered the VR for the moment; repeated jolts like this brought about the VR failure--in my case it took just over 2 years. That seemed to me to be a thoughtful considered analysis and I went with it.

Now I have a new VR and a trickle charger (Schumacher SC1319 1.5A 6V/12V Automatic Battery Maintainer). When the trickle charger was hooked up the charge light (yellow) was on for the better part of an afternoon; sometime around dusk it turned to green (trickling?) and in the morning was pulsing on/off green (the maintance mode). Prior to hooking up the trickle charger I'd only run the tractor with the new VR and, BTW, a new battery, just to run through the flow chart #8 to determine what was wrong and to check out the ammeter once the new VR was installed and polarized. So the battery...even with the generator going and the new VR in place still seemed to be a bit in need of a charge. That's what the trickle charger was doing with the yellow light. ...I think....

So, I'm hopeful this will take care of my VR issue. Did I get it right? Other things that go wrong? Of course.....

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Why voltage regulators fail

Postby ricky racer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 am

A trickle charger and a battery maintainer are different. A trickle charger puts out a continuous low amperage charge and can eventually over charge a battery.
A battery maintainer monitors the batteries charge and charges once the batteries charge drops to a certain level. Once a full charge has been achieved the maintainer goes into float mode until the battery requires a charge again.
A battery maintainer will help a battery last last much, much longer easily paying for itself.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:48 am

I have the same 'trickle' charger, that I originally purchased for atv batteries. Works great. My Cub is 6 volt, and after starting and running it, I always hook it up. Solid green light=fully charged, that is when it goes into 'float' mode, and monitors battery state of charge, and only charges when necessary. Solid yellow=charging, which I only see if I start and run my tractor for a short period (very rare). Great for winter if you plow, battery always ready to go. Keeps your generator and VR on Easy Street, and prevents your battery from freezing. I am not surprised it took awhile for your battery to fully charge, but you should check for a 'parasitic' discharge, a short somewhere discharging the battery.

Many people make the mistake of thinking a generator or alternator is a substitute for a battery charger.

I always fully charge a new battery before hooking up and putting into service (if you don't, it will never accept or be fully charged). Also before and after storage. If left in vehicle to store, at the very least disconnect the ground cable, fully charge, and leave the ground cable disconnected until recharged and put back into service. They will last a long time this way.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Edit: it should also be noted that the voltage regulators used on these older tractors regulate maximum voltage, and NOT maximum amperage. Upon start-up, a voltage regulator will allow current flow (amperage) until the voltage rises above a certain amount, for a 6V system approximately 7 volts. In the meantime, the generator is working hard outputting all the current that the VR is allowing.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Postby radioguy41 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:38 pm

DickB wrote:I'm on my 4th VR. Call that 5 if you'd count the one I returned as it failed in a day. The original lasted for years. The failed ones with one exception were foreign made...in India I believe. The last to fail was USA made and was just over 2 years old.

I talked to John Brillman (brillman.com) who sold the USA made VR to me; he felt the failure was due to the 6v battery not being maintained and, offering me free shipping (nice of him, I thought) on a new VR, he also offered a suggestion. John felt that a trickle charger was essential to the tractor's set up, and not having one caused the generator (I hope I get this right...) at starting up to push a really oversized jolt of electricity through the VR. And that jolt overpowered the VR for the moment; repeated jolts like this brought about the VR failure--in my case it took just over 2 years. That seemed to me to be a thoughtful considered analysis and I went with it.

While I agree a battery maintainer is very helpful I'm not buying the explanation for failure. Original VR's have lasted for many years (my jeep had the original 1950 (dated) VR), long before maintainers were even thought of, and now the new ones fail sometimes within weeks and it's because the battery isn't fully charged? I'd take that with a grain of salt. If the VR can't handle that initial surge, especially at the low RPM's of a Cub, it isn't built right.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

Larry in WNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14005

Postby Larry in WNY » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm

My father had a battery maintainer on his Farmall M and over time it boiled all the water out and destroyed the battery. Case IH replaced it under warranty fortunately.

Larry

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Larry in WNY wrote:My father had a battery maintainer on his Farmall M and over time it boiled all the water out and destroyed the battery. Case IH replaced it under warranty fortunately.

Larry

That sounds like a trickle charger or a defective maintainer. Certainly not the norm. I've got at least a half dozen going all the time. They save me a fortune in batteries.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:29 pm

I have purchased one from Brillman as well that failed. I just do not think they know how to make them to last.

I have switched to electronic VRs because of the high failure rate and have been very happy. Unfortunately, my source Clover that I have been recommended went out of business. I have found another source in the UK but have not tested it yet.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:56 pm

ricky racer wrote:That sounds like a trickle charger or a defective maintainer. Certainly not the norm. I've got at least a half dozen going all the time. They save me a fortune in batteries.
I have 3 or 4 battery maintainers going all the time. No problem.

On the defective voltage regulators, change the tractor over to a 12 volt alternator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:27 am

My 6v cub has a cutout relay instead of a voltage regulator. Are these prone to failure like the regulators are?
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:53 am

jsfarmall wrote:My 6v cub has a cutout relay instead of a voltage regulator. Are these prone to failure like the regulators are?
The cutout has fewer mechanical, electrical parts, than a regulator. So less likely to fail.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:09 pm

What incentive exists to build durable regulators?

Competition for niche markets today only confirms there is nothing that cannot be made cheaper ,and sold for more money.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:20 pm

TallCoolOne58 wrote:Edit: it should also be noted that the voltage regulators used on these older tractors regulate maximum voltage, and NOT maximum amperage. Upon start-up, a voltage regulator will allow current flow (amperage) until the voltage rises above a certain amount, for a 6V system approximately 7 volts. In the meantime, the generator is working hard outputting all the current that the VR is allowing.

Here we go. This seems to me, an electrical illiterate, to be echoing John Brillman's assertion that the Cub without the battery maintainer eventually does serious damage to the VR. What is that damage? Well..having a bunch of VRs without a future, I pulled them apart (wife interested in the copper wires in the coils). What I found was pitted points. The coils seemed fine, and that's all there is to the VRs. In the past I tried to save VRs, being accidentally on the right path, by dressing up the points. But I no luck with it. There's no info on setting gaps and it is really difficult to view the status of the points. So I'm staying with the battery maintainer as the device that will keep the battery up to its maximum and hope that helps (somehow) the generator to not be obliged to overpower the VR.

Is TallCoolOne 58 on to it? Does this mean that the generator is pushing excess (is it) amps (?) to the VR and that causes pitting? If the battery is indeed up to snuff does that keep the generator from pitting the VR? Oh boy, I should have been forced to study electricity in high school.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi,
Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing adjustment specs for the voltage regulators.
A little hard to read, it is up and down on the page.
These are the original Delco regulators. The modern replacement regulators might have different specs.
3 are 6 volt regulators, used over the years, and the 4th one looks to be a 12 volt reg.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 009-04.jpg

My opinion is some of the new replacement regulators have points that are not hard enough metal, like Dick said, his points are burned and pitted.

Only the on and off set of points open, when the engine is off, to shut off the charging system.
The other set of points controls the output of the generator, it is closed all the time by the small spring. The more pull on the spring, the more output the generator will produce.
The output should be tested when the engine is running, using an automotive test voltmeter. :)

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:20 pm

A voltage regulator usually contains a cut off relay, and a voltage relay. Later more sophisticated ones also had an amperage relay. The cut off relay is an electromagnetic switch to disconnect the battery from the generator when tractor is off (points open). This keeps the battery from being drawn down. Start the tractor, electrical current present, points close allowing current to flow thru the regulator. The voltage relay is also simply an electromagnetic switch. It is normally CLOSED (points closed), unless the voltage rises to a point where the magnets overcome the spring pressure, on a 6 volt system normally in the neighborhood of 7 volts.

Amperage= current flow, Voltage=pressure. You cannot have peak amperage and peak voltage at the same time. Current flow= voltage drop, less current flow=voltage rises.

When you start your tractor, you have used some stored electricity in your battery. You will have lower voltage because virtually instantaneously the voltage regulator is allowing current flow to recharge the battery, plus the amp draw from battery ignition, if you have it. The battery will only accept a certain charge, so as current flow slows voltage rises. At a preset voltage maximum point, (about 7 volts on a 6 volt system), the voltage regulator opens it's points, and current stops flowing. Actually it does this many times per second, especially after you have run your tractor for a few minutes and the battery is recharged.

There is no great way to 'save' a voltage regulator. Most of us don't own a temperature and humidity controlled garage. That is known as a museum.

Darned if you do, darmed if you don't. If you don't use your tractor, moisture and corrosion will take it's toll anyway. If you do use it, you increase wear and tear.

If your tractor is used often, at least once or twice a week, I wouldn't sweat a battery maintainer. It does give you an edge in cold weather, and helps prevent a slow discharge. A lead acid battery won't take a deep discharge, and recover well.