This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Blue Devil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Blue Devil

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:32 pm

I finished buttoning up my tractor this morning (re: Might As Well). Since I replaced the inlet and outlet elbow gaskets and hoses, I was thinking of using Blue Devil radiator flush in the cooling system before adding fresh 50/50 coolant, kinda ugly in there. Filled with fresh water and idled for 10 minutes or so to flush out any residual coolant, no leaks, and am letting it cool overnight, to be drained in the morning.

Anyone here have any experience with this product? Gets good reviews online, and i'd to do a good flush, but I don't want to risk something like a blown head gasket at this time, the sunrise temperature is supposed to below freezing Sunday, and I don't want my Cub out of commission for repairs in case it starts snowing.

Thoughts and opinions for consideration appreciated.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Blue Devil

Postby Slim140 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Not sure how good it’ll flush since there’s no water pump and it needs to be hot for the water to flow correctly.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:59 am

I think it would be more effective to remove the lower coolant tube and flush out the block with a power washer or at least a garden hose. There usually is a lot of build up in the front of the lower block

Some members have recommended an "RV Water Heater Tank Rinser" about $8 to reach in.
Attachments
camco-rv-parts-11691-64_1000.jpg
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:27 am

Shane Nelson wrote:Not sure how good it’ll flush since there’s no water pump and it needs to be hot for the water to flow correctly.

I drained old coolant to do the hoses and gaskets. Filled with fresh water after to rinse out any residual coolant, and check for leaks. None so far. Now I will drain that too.

My thought was the next step would be to add the Blue Devil flush, and fill with fresh water. Start and warm up at low idle for 5-10 mins. Then let run at high idle for at least a good 10 mins, idle back down to low idle for a few, then shut it down and let cool for a drain and rinse. That ought to get it plenty hot and cycle the water in the system.

Once drained, filled/rinsed/runs clear I will add fresh 50/50 antifreeze using distilled water.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:30 am

inairam wrote:I think it would be more effective to remove the lower coolant tube and flush out the block with a power washer or at least a garden hose. There usually is a lot of build up in the front of the lower block

Some members have recommended an "RV Water Heater Tank Rinser" about $8 to reach in.

That does look like a neat little gadget for use with a garden hose or pressure washer.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:31 am

The main issues with the cooling system are rust build up in the bolster and block. The blue devil stuff I do not think it will hurt. It may help to loosen the rust before a flush with a hose but I would not expect it to dissolve the build I had in my cubs.

If you clean the bolster and block and connect and use a pressure cap and connect the hose to the overflow use good anti freeze you are in good shape with the cooling system.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:42 am

inairam wrote:The main issues with the cooling system are rust build up in the bolster and block. The blue devil stuff I do not think it will hurt. It may help to loosen the rust before a flush with a hose but I would not expect it to dissolve the build I had in my cubs.

If you clean the bolster and block and connect and use a pressure cap and connect the hose to the overflow use good anti freeze you are in good shape with the cooling system.

Understood. The bolster, and rust build-up around the cylinders and valve areas seem to be the "problem areas" on these tractors, mainly due to lack of regular cooling system maintenance.

I'm thinking to 'get aggressive', and go ahead and use it. These old tractors are pretty tough, with solid parts. I'll pour in and let sit full strength in bolster when it drains down there, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes to help loosen the crud in there. Then top off with fresh water, and run til hot. Let sit and cool overnight, drain and refill, and repeat (engine cold), until water runs reasonably clear, then fill with fresh 50/50 mix.

Best I can do short of a tear down, and winter's coming fast in these parts. I only have a few more days to be monkeying with water in the cooling system, before we get steady below freezing day break temps, and it's been spitting snow here and there already.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 am

TallCoolOne58 wrote: Then top off with fresh water, and run til hot. Let sit and cool overnight, drain and refill, and repeat (engine cold), until water runs reasonably clear, then fill with fresh 50/50 mix.

Best I can do short of a tear down, and winter's coming fast in these parts. I only have a few more days to be monkeying with water in the cooling system, before we get steady below freezing day break temps, and it's been spitting snow here and there already.

You will have to work the tractor pretty hard to get it HOT since no thermostat. Not having a water pump you won't see much stuff at the top of the radiator anyway. That is why most of it sits at the bottom of the bolster or the bottom of the block. Thermosypon systems works great, just not good for circulating cleaner to get stuff off the bottom. You could put a towel over the grill to stop some of the flow of air to help get it up to temperature.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:09 am

Shane Nelson wrote:
TallCoolOne58 wrote: Then top off with fresh water, and run til hot. Let sit and cool overnight, drain and refill, and repeat (engine cold), until water runs reasonably clear, then fill with fresh 50/50 mix.

You will have to work the tractor pretty hard to get it HOT since no thermostat. Not having a water pump you won't see much stuff at the top of the radiator anyway. That is why most of it sits at the bottom of the bolster or the bottom of the block. Thermosypon systems works great, just not good for circulating cleaner to get stuff off the bottom. You could put a towel over the grill to stop some of the flow of air to help get it up to temperature.

By 'hot' I meant operating temp, seems to get pretty warm (but doesn't overheat) sitting stationary and running at high idle for 10-15 minutes. The point where the oil has warmed up thoroughly, and the oil pressure drops a little.

Mrblanche
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75104

Postby Mrblanche » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:49 am

I've used this stuff to finally get rid of the rust in my hot rod. Considering I fought the rust in there for 2 years, I was pretty impressed. https://www.amazon.com/Thermocure-Coola ... ator+flush

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Mrblanche wrote:I've used this stuff to finally get rid of the rust in my hot rod. Considering I fought the rust in there for 2 years, I was pretty impressed. https://www.amazon.com/Thermocure-Coola ... ator+flush

Excellent. I will give it a try next flush and fill. Right now I'm trying to play 'Beat the Clock'. Originally planned this job for Spring, but the hose(s) condition and a coolant leak were driving me nuts.

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JoeB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:36 pm

I have used some of the Blue-Devil products in the past. All of them have worked exactly as promised on the bottle. You must follow the directions exactly or whatever is supposed to do, won't. They have a money back guarantee that most parts stores will honor right at the counter as well.

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:38 pm

JoeB wrote:I have used some of the Blue-Devil products in the past. All of them have worked exactly as promised on the bottle. You must follow the directions exactly or whatever is supposed to do, won't. They have a money back guarantee that most parts stores will honor right at the counter as well.

Excellent. Thank you.

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Well, as a little update, if anyone's interested.

Went out to garage. Drained residual water/coolant (first fill of fresh water only to rinse after draining old coolant). Added Blue Devil (it's a 1 quart jug). Waited about 10 minutes to give the concentrate a chance to work on the crud in the bolster. Then topped off cooling system with fresh water.

Started tractor, low idle for 10 minutes to warm up a little, then high idle for 10 minutes to thoroughly warm up and give the water a chance to heat and circulate, then throttled back to low idle for 5 minutes for a cool down. Shut off tractor to cool overnite.

System holds pressure, no leaks. A relief after the time and effort put in. Drain tomorrow and see what crud it got out. I am not expecting miracles. Heck, I'll be happy if it cleaned out the old crap and sludge. Fingers crossed.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Here's a suggestion for you to think about. When you bring the engine up to temp, the thermosiphon action will probably put some of the crud and debris into suspension. By allowing the engine to cool overnight, that debris will settle back out to the low points in the system. I'm thinking that you would be better served by draining it shortly after engine shutdown, thereby draining all the suspended crud out. I wouldn't think there would be enough residual heat in the block to cause any problems. Thoughts?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor