This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Touch control

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mbosler55
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 33565

Farmall Touch control

Postby Mbosler55 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:09 am

What type of hydraulic fluid , or oil can I use for a 1948 cub touch control reservoir.
Also, the unit lifting ability almost quit after using it for 1 hr, it didn't want to lift the double moldboard plows very well.
The reservoir was hot to the touch.
Thanks
PC rookie

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Touch control

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 am

Most folks use HyTran (my choice), but there ARE equivalent fluids...just check the label.

Note: if you are loosing fluid, check your oil level, since the shaft seal on the hydraulic pump can leak the hydraulic fluid into the engine block.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:32 am

BTW, you are about 4.5-5 hrs from the first cubfest of the year in Feb in Sneads, FL. Many folks drive 10+ hours to attend the DSCF (Deep South CubFest), so if you are still having trouble with your hydraulics, you could take it to DSCF and have plenty of help working on it.

If you haven't been to a cubfest, this is the perfect opportunity to meet many forum members and enjoy the comaraderi, good food, while accomplishing some daunting tasks with a lot of assistance!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

bubbaearl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27522

Postby bubbaearl » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Napa has a good one that you can run in just about anything, about $17 dollars per gallon I had one that was not working properly back in the summer a 51 and I figured it had probably never been serviced and I only had it a short while because I bought it to restore. I pulled the pump and reservoir off and bought new kits to rebuild them. The screen was all tore up and mashed so I rebuilt both and that thing operates just as smooth as you could ask for and it was around $120 dollars and $40 of that was for the screen.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi,
Start by checking the fluid level, Touch Controls don't work right if the fluid is low.

The Touch Control uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid, which is a fluid for hydraulic systems. It is sold at Case IH dealers, it comes in a 1 gallon can. The Touch Control holds 3 1/2 pints of fluid if you change it like the owner's manual says.
There are other brands of hydraulic fluid, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying it.

The Cub owner's manual says fill the system to the filler hole with the arms in the rear or down position, not the ahead position. The fluid level rises as the arms go to the rear, so if you fill it with the arms ahead, it would be overfilled.
Also, if you check the fluid level with the arms ahead, it will look low on fluid, even if it has the right amount in it.

Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend reading it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
The Touch Control info begins on page 60.
It tells how to change the fluid on page 62. If you change the fluid, be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4 to remove the air from the system. The arms have to move through their full travel, not just the lever, as paragraph 4 says.

The recommendation in the manual for using 10W oil was changed in the 1950's to use Hy-Tran fluid, Jim Becker has said on here before. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Return to “Farmall Cub”