Square nose headlight wiring question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Square nose headlight wiring question

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 pm

On the later Cubs, does the harness loom just butt up against the round male connector on the headlight, or would there have been heat shrink or something else covering the junction between the two? Or does the loom not extend out the hole in the hood?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Square nose headlight wiring question

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:42 pm

They originally used connector body 899385R1, which can be seen here:
viewtopic.php?t=75941
They are too big to fit through the wiring hole in the hood. So you can imagine what happened the first time the hood had to come off. I don't think I have ever seen an original on a tractor. I bought the remaining supply from one source, which wasn't very many. I have also found some by stripping them off old auto wiring harnesses.

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:08 pm

the wiring was part of the harness and went through the hole in the hood right to the connector Jim linked you to, the spade connector had a locking tab on to keep the connector on the terminal, most chopped it off, all you need to do to remove it is to insert a small screw driver to release it

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 pm

I have the connectors, just wondered where and how the loom ended. My wires were cut and spliced and I'll try and return them to original status.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Bob, I believe it came out of the hood a bit, I have one here I can look at tomorrow
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:34 pm

ya most probably got more than one you can look at Boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
get er done; life is good

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:55 pm

I clearly didn't read the original question close enough. The 6-volt tractors had pigtails from the headlights that reached in through the holes in the hood and plugged into the main harness near the fan shroud. The loom comes pretty close to the connectors. On the 12-volt tractors, the main harness ends with connectors that plug directly into the back of the headlights. Neither of my 12-volt tractors have loom extending through the holes in the hood, just two individual wires. I didn't try looking/digging under the hoods to see how far the looms reach. Based on the 6-volt looms, they probably come fairly close to the hood holes. The drawings in the parts catalog show a short loop of individual wires under the hood.

Note that I am using 6-volt and 12-volt rather than round and square hood as the wiring change was with the voltage change not the hood change.