Proper Oil Filter for my 1949 Farmall Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ajhbike
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub- Lorelai
1956 Lo-Boy FH- Rory
1951 Super C FH- Emily
1968 JD 3020- Paris
Woods 59 CLF
54A Blade, 54-L Blade, C-22 Sickle
C-21-P Sickle Mower
72" Rear Blade, Carryalls, Pallet Forks, IH 263 2 Row Cultivator, 7' Rake, Brush Hog, Horn-Draulic FEL

Re: Proper Oil Filter for my 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby ajhbike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:38 pm

The bolt fits snug and sometimes I have to give it a good push for the cubs or the super c whether it is wix or fram

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Bravo! Thanks for the response.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'50 Cub
194 Plow
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower

Postby T-Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 am

steinertractor wrote:Hi all,
First, we want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. As you’ve all noted, we are selling a Wix filter and have been for some time. It does seem that many of those that Wix sent recently have the incorrect hole diameter. I want to apologize for anyone that felt their problem wasn’t understood properly by our staff here. We strive to take product issues very seriously and I escalated this situation to the General Manager and the President to ensure we are communicating at all levels of our staffing these type of product issues and are making it right and not hassling about a return.

Currently, we have a staff member from our Quality Control team sorting through all of the filters on the shelf and testing them with the bolts from the Farmall Cub to ensure proper fit. Right now, the Bad pile is larger than the Good pile, but we do have confirmed good ones to ship out if anyone is still in need.

We also read what you wrote in regards to the overall filter diameter. Dan Steiner is having our purchasing team research other available filters and we may be making a switch from the Wix filter because of that 1/4” overall diameter difference you identified. However we do like the fact that Wix encapsulates their cartridge filters with steel which is why we choose them over other less expensive filters.

I want to make sure that you all have an open line of communication at Steiner Tractor Parts. We have learned so much from the group of fine folks on this forum, your experience and knowledge are vital to this hobby and I thank you for all the work you do to promote tractor restoration and especially to help out newbies. Your forum is a wonderful place for guys to gain knowledge and insight into their tractor and that includes our own team here at Steiner!

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you ever hit any road blocks at Steiner Tractor Parts. I’ve posted here before and wish I had more time to be more active. My name is Elizabeth Whiting. Technically, my primary responsibility at Steiner these days is our website, SteinerTractor.com and also our tractor club outreach program (any tractor club guys, hit me up for program details this year). However, I am willing and able to get you in touch with whomever you need based on your request if I cannot assist myself. I created a special email alias for you guys to use, farmallcub@steinertractor.com. This will put you directly into my email inbox. I’ve worked here for 18 years and am glad to serve as a point of contact for this group. Also, if you prefer a bit more anonymity, we also accept any and all customer feedback at customerexperience@steinertractor.com. I do not personally monitor or receive those emails like I do the one above, but emails to that address should also be routed to the proper parties. If there are threads here that could use Steiner input, please feel free to send me the links.

Thank you again for all of the research and explanations and pictures in this thread. It is very helpful.

Elizabeth Whiting
Website Development & Project Management
Steiner Tractor Parts
800-234-3280 Ext 112

Thanks, Elizabeth, for jumping on the forum, and responding so quickly and professional to my email I sent a few days ago. I was hoping my link directed you precisely to this thread.

As for other sources, I know NAPA 1153 filter is a good one - I bought one of those for my '50 Cub last August. Guys on here can also direct you to other possibilities. Thanks, again, for handling this in such a timely manner.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
'50 Cub
194 Plow
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower

Postby T-Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:42 am

Oh, almost forgot, Elizabeth told me that when they send out a replacement filter (which I see they did yesterday), she included a return label so I can ship back the "bad" filter. They want to contact Wix with the number of bad filters so Wix can make it right with Steiner. So, if you haven't already, hang on to your bad filters until the replacement arrives after contacting Steiner.

Donegal Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:37 am

UK-Cub wrote:Excellent positive response by Steiner. Well done.

I echo that David, Wildfarmall, well done on your persistence that the filter was a wrong one.

Willy
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:42 am

I haven't had that problem with the Fram filters. I stocked up on them when Tractor Supply put them on clearance last for 67 cents each. But I've yet to get into the clearance ones.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Bigger hammer! LOL !
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59,'71 Cub
'51 Super C
'55 Case SC
Fairbanks-Morse 3KW Generator
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coupe
'51 Ford PU
'55 Dodge PU
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 am

Don McCombs wrote:Thank you, Elizabeth. It's good to know someone's listening. :D

Yes. It sounds like Steiner got caught in the middle of a Wix manufacturing error.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty"
FH Woods 42F, 54A blade, 194 plow, FH L-38 disk, FH Lo-Boy disk, FH platform carrier
Circle of Safety

WildFarmall
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 28570
Tractors Owned: Uncle Hubert - 1940 Farmall A
Aunt Elsie - 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby WildFarmall » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:13 pm

T-Mo wrote:
steinertractor wrote:Hi all,
First, we want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. As you’ve all noted, we are selling a Wix filter and have been for some time. It does seem that many of those that Wix sent recently have the incorrect hole diameter. I want to apologize for anyone that felt their problem wasn’t understood properly by our staff here. We strive to take product issues very seriously and I escalated this situation to the General Manager and the President to ensure we are communicating at all levels of our staffing these type of product issues and are making it right and not hassling about a return.

Currently, we have a staff member from our Quality Control team sorting through all of the filters on the shelf and testing them with the bolts from the Farmall Cub to ensure proper fit. Right now, the Bad pile is larger than the Good pile, but we do have confirmed good ones to ship out if anyone is still in need.

We also read what you wrote in regards to the overall filter diameter. Dan Steiner is having our purchasing team research other available filters and we may be making a switch from the Wix filter because of that 1/4” overall diameter difference you identified. However we do like the fact that Wix encapsulates their cartridge filters with steel which is why we choose them over other less expensive filters.

I want to make sure that you all have an open line of communication at Steiner Tractor Parts. We have learned so much from the group of fine folks on this forum, your experience and knowledge are vital to this hobby and I thank you for all the work you do to promote tractor restoration and especially to help out newbies. Your forum is a wonderful place for guys to gain knowledge and insight into their tractor and that includes our own team here at Steiner!

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you ever hit any road blocks at Steiner Tractor Parts. I’ve posted here before and wish I had more time to be more active. My name is Elizabeth Whiting. Technically, my primary responsibility at Steiner these days is our website, SteinerTractor.com and also our tractor club outreach program (any tractor club guys, hit me up for program details this year). However, I am willing and able to get you in touch with whomever you need based on your request if I cannot assist myself. I created a special email alias for you guys to use, farmallcub@steinertractor.com. This will put you directly into my email inbox. I’ve worked here for 18 years and am glad to serve as a point of contact for this group. Also, if you prefer a bit more anonymity, we also accept any and all customer feedback at customerexperience@steinertractor.com. I do not personally monitor or receive those emails like I do the one above, but emails to that address should also be routed to the proper parties. If there are threads here that could use Steiner input, please feel free to send me the links.

Thank you again for all of the research and explanations and pictures in this thread. It is very helpful.

Elizabeth Whiting
Website Development & Project Management
Steiner Tractor Parts
800-234-3280 Ext 112

Thanks, Elizabeth, for jumping on the forum, and responding so quickly and professional to my email I sent a few days ago. I was hoping my link directed you precisely to this thread.

As for other sources, I know NAPA 1153 filter is a good one - I bought one of those for my '50 Cub last August. Guys on here can also direct you to other possibilities. Thanks, again, for handling this in such a timely manner.

Thank you Ms. Whiting for responding and finding the problem. It seemed that no one believed me at first. In any case I am glad that they are sending the right size filter. I wonder if the filter body difference makes much difference?

Paul in NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul in NJ » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 am

I purchased 2 Wix filters from McDonalds when I also ordered a carburator rebuild kit. I will check these filters and may end up contacting McDonald's for the same issue.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
'50 Cub
194 Plow
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower

Postby T-Mo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 am

I got my replacement filter yesterday from Steiners with an enclosed return label to return the first one. From what Elizabeth told me, they want to collect the bad ones for their discussion with Wix.

Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub

Postby Shane N. » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:15 am

T-Mo wrote:I got my replacement filter yesterday from Steiners with an enclosed return label to return the first one. From what Elizabeth told me, they want to collect the bad ones for their discussion with Wix.

I think they want all the bad ones that passed through their hands so they can get their money back from Wix, I don't blame them one bit for that.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
You can't have a million dollar dream with a minimum wage work ethic.
Circle of Safety

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
'50 Cub
194 Plow
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower

Postby T-Mo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:17 am

Shane Nelson wrote:
T-Mo wrote:I got my replacement filter yesterday from Steiners with an enclosed return label to return the first one. From what Elizabeth told me, they want to collect the bad ones for their discussion with Wix.

I think they want all the bad ones that passed through their hands so they can get their money back from Wix, I don't blame them one bit for that.

Yep, from what Elizabeth has said, the bad ones outnumber the good ones from the ones they still had on their shelves.

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:09 am

good thread---stuff does happen
get er done; life is good

Chris53
Zip Code: 05731
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super H

Postby Chris53 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:56 pm

The exact same thing happened to me last May (2017) and Steiner took care of me straight away. They actually said not to bother sending the offending unit back, and they gave me full credit on the purchase. Ended up going to a Case/IH dealer for the correct filter, however.

I have placed several orders with them since that happened and it's been all good.