Strange Governor Issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k0rpl
Zip Code: 54303

Strange Governor Issue

Postby k0rpl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Good Evening Foks:

Have a Strange Governor Issue, that just cropped up, and wondeing if anybody has a quick fix, so I can Plow the snow that we are getting in the next few days!

What happens, is The Cub Starts up just fine. I Normally start it about two to three grooves up from far back. after it starts, if I push it just one, or two more grooves, it over revs, and from 1/3rd to full, there is really no rpm change, it just seems like it is Full Speed, or and idle, not much in between, When it is at idle, if I manually push the governor bellcrank on the carb side, back to the carb, it goes almost instantly to full throttle, and I do not feel the Governor weights pushing back against my hand to lower the RPMS. I am kind of figuring the Weigjhts are stuck, the spring is good, and the holes that the spring connects to, is not wallowed out or anything, and I do not feel any binding moving it.

Hard to set a fast idle to 1/2 throttle to plow with. When I got it into snow, and the load was coming on, Engine Speed just dropped, with not additional throttle movement. I am assuming the Governor is going to have to come off.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Strange Governor Issue

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:55 pm

There is a Ushaped flat plate attached to the cross shaft inside the governor, your description of it not pushing back points toward either that plate having broken, which I have seen a couple times, or the thrust bearing in the governor that pushes the plate having failed, which I have also seen a couple times, though neither one is very common. There is a joint where the cross shaft connects to the governor shaft, make sure both shafts are turning together.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

k0rpl

Postby k0rpl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks John, I will give that a look. That would also cause it to Rev High?

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 am

Where the governor cross shaft connects to the governor, there is a very small woodruff key, I've seen those shear. The governor loses control of the situation.

k0rpl

Postby k0rpl » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks. I will look at that too. I appreciate all the help this wonderful group provides.

k0rpl

Postby k0rpl » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 pm

Just wanted to do a Follow Up.
You guys are Great.

Everybody gave me suggestions that I was going to Check on. Late last night, Glen sent me a private message, and gave me a much easier way to set the governor up then what the Service manual states. My problem ended up being in the Rod that goes from the Governor Bellcrank on the side of the engine, to the Carb. The Rod was too long, Meaning there was no protrusion in the clevis of the threaded rod. Adjusted it to about 1/4" sticking into the clevis yoke, and gave it another shot. Engine speed no longer goes where ever the Frick it decided it wants to. now there is some linearity to the hand throttle adjustment, instead of Idle in the last slot, and full speed, with over rev one click up from the back! Up here in Green Bay Wisconsin, we are supposed to get somewhere between 0 - 256 Inches of snow tonight, so Tomorrow, I will hopefully be able to plow for the second time this winter, and have a govvernor that calls for abit more power when needed instead of just doing whatever it wanted to. I really appreciate all of your suggestions, and Glen, for giving it an easy explanation. Thanks again guys! Bring on the Snow!!

Justin

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby inairam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:57 am

I am not saying never but rarely is the problem inside the governor. The linkage between the throttle and governor and the linkage between the governor and the carb are the main problem areas.

When you have time in the spring, after the snow season, that is one area I like to spend time on with a new cub - cleaning, inspecting, lubing, adjusting the linkages that everything moves freely and is tight. It is also a good idea to replace the governor spring.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!