Magneto seal

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
aei707
Zip Code: 94510
eBay ID: AEI77
Tractors Owned: 48 cub

Magneto seal

Postby aei707 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:03 am

I had to remove my magneto and found out the seal between the mag and the governor was leaking and needed to be replaced. Since my mag is out and my governor needs to also come out. What is the best direction to replace the seal and where does the seal land between the two

wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 85233
Tractors Owned: 47 Fcub
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Re: Magneto seal

Postby wrz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am

You don't have to remove the governor to replace the seal. Take an awl and punch two small holes 180 degrees apart on the metal ring of the seal. Next step is to use two sheet metal screws the right length so that after you screw them in the punched holes you can use a cats paw to pry on each screw head to pull the seal out.(back and forth) The hard part now is when you install the seal it only goes in so far. I use a gauge that farmertan made to set the seal the right depth.The service manual shows the correct depth. Another trick is to take electrical tape and wrap a layer around the the hub so when the seal slides over the slots for the mag drive it won't nick the rubber seal. Remove the tape after the seal is in place. The awl works better than a drill because you don't have to worry about the chips getting in the engine oil.
Wm

Ahab01
Zip Code: 53224
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
John Deer 450C Dozer
Kubota SVL 90-2 Skid Steer

Postby Ahab01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 pm

The manual says it goes in 23/32" from the ignition mounting surface. Just make sure it goes in square to the surface and check the shaft for wear where the seal contacts it.
Attachments
Ignition Seal.jpg
If it ain't broke....give me a minute.

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1975 with homemade mower 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby inairam » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 pm

The seal goes in from the mag side. If you have a lath or access to a friend with a lath there is a tool you can make. do a search for "governor seal tool".

Before you set to the 23/32 measure the current seal and the replacement seal. If there are different ( the new one is probably thinner) do the math and change the depth. The oil being sealed is coming from the governor side. I felt the position of the back of the seal was more important than the front.

Before you reassemble, put the engine at TDC #1. I would also pick up a paint pen or chalk or punch something so you can mark the gears. Once the seal is in place you can not see the timing marks. If you are off gear with the mag it is very difficult if not impossible to time the mag. read about installing the mag and timing the mag before you reassemble.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi,
After removing the old seal, you should clean the surface on the governor gear where the seal runs, the whole length where the seal rubber will be sliding over, so the new seal rubber is not damaged sliding over rust, or rough metal.
Use fine sandpaper on the surface, if it is rough, and smooth it.

If the governor gear seal surface has a groove worn in it where the old seal was running, it's better to install the new seal so the rubber will run on an unworn part of the surface.
Like was said above, the new oil seals are probably thinner than the old seals shown in the manual, so it might need to be put in to a different depth than the manual shows.

Oil the surface before installing the new seal, and be sure the seal lip stays facing ahead, and straight as you drive the seal in over the gear surface.
Don't hammer directly on a new seal, put something metal or wood over it to hammer on. In that position, with the governor gear there, some of the people on here have made round tools, with a hollowed end, to fit into the hole, and over the governor gear. :)

Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Someone here used to make a device for seating mag seals. I bought one from him and still have it.

Before I got my hands on that I used 23/32 plywood as a depth gauge. I cut a round piece of 23/32 just slightly smaller than the seal itself. Used a flat piece of hardwood to get the seal started and then placed the 23/32 plywood piece over the seal and drove it home with a mallet. The hardwood board over the plywood prohibits you from driving the seal deeper than it is supposed to be set. They are not easy to get seated. The worst experience of my Cub life was getting that governor back in its proper place