This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Overlooked problems found after Cub purchase

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brandonlee012
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78653
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub. Serial #97700

Overlooked problems found after Cub purchase

Postby brandonlee012 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Hello, and thank you all for being so helpful. I am finding more things that need fixing now that my Cub has been home for a week, than I saw before buying the Cub. Is this just me wanting to bring my Cub back to like new condition or is this common to you all as well to find hidden or overlooked problems?

The good: nice paint, runs well, is complete.

The bad: overdue for maintenance, steering arm bolts broken, tires ballasted with water, rear and front main seepage, possible touch control issues.

Parts are on the way, to get her back to work.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Overlooked problems found after Cub purchase

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Some of the flaws are hidden until you have a chance to go over the Cub thoroughly. I think the excitement and anticipation of buying a Cub causes tunnel vision and you miss some of the problems until it's home. It's happened to me.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:50 pm

brandonlee012 wrote:Is this just me wanting to bring my Cub back to like new condition or is this common to you all as well to find hidden or overlooked problems?
Yes, common to find problems.

The thing is to determine which problems require immediate attention and the ones that can wait.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:32 pm

brandonlee012 wrote:tires ballasted with water

Are you sure it is water and not calcium chloride. If it is calcium, becare any pets don't drink it when drained. It will also kill grass.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01756

Postby toehead » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 pm

Bigwally30
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 98686

Postby Bigwally30 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:02 am

Over the years have found that my projects usually cost twice as much and take twice as long to do as you first figure it will take

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:12 am

Sounds like these issues are normal. It’s rare to buy a Cub that’s been maintained. Broken bolts, leaking seals and T/C rebuild also common.

Drain and dispose of fluid in the tires; may have to address those in the near future.

Bob’s right, tunnel vision (you might call it “Cub” vision) can cause you to overlook things.

Glad to hear it runs good. Post some pics, we’d like to see it. Is this your first Cub?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 am

Depending what you are doing with it, I would leave the fluid in the tires until it starts leaking. If it's calcium chloride that stuff will destroy your rims. Replacing main seals ain't too bad. The rear is the easiest to change but hardest to get to seal right. Front is easy to get to seal but can be a major pain to get the front pulley off. Unless it's a real problem I would just let em leak.

My tractors don't leak though, they mark their territory lol
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 am

my first cub was a non runner and the owner turned out to be ( i'll b nice ) much less than truthful . it all worked out in the end , and was kinda helpful because i had to learn a lot about what gets and keeps these little gems running . i have gotten better at looking over a cub , but still have hidden issues pop up . just part of the deal . coppersmythe.............................

Intergalactic Harvester
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 81067
Tractors Owned: 1959 lo boy
1950 farmall cub High Clear with despeeder
149 cub cadet
1957 Farmall 350
1945 JD LA

Postby Intergalactic Harvester » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 am

I have found this to be very common....... more work done in a rattle can paint job than was put into actually checking fluids and greasing fittings. I have had bought 3 tractors all in this condition. Not all Cubs. More water than oil throughout the whole tractor.The price was low and I knew how to fix them, so I got them anyways.
I constantly find fresh paint over 1/2 inch of dirt and oil build up from a leak years old. I end up destroying all the work and money put into it because I have to tear the tractor apart to fix it, and non of the paint has a hardener so it flakes right off down to original. I end up doing more work in the long run stripping down the paint after its put back together to redo it on a clean, non leaking, proper running tractor.
Calcium in tires is used in areas where it freezes regularly, (like my place). I dont like it, I use windshield washer fluid. My brother lives in a warmer place where they just use water.
Good luck, I know your troubles. I keep telling myself that all of this will be worth it when I need to run my tractor all day for several days straight and not have any maintenance issues. These tractors are dependable when maintained.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never cared for anything thereafter" - Hemingway

Semper Fi

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:39 am

I wondered why they used calcium chloride when there were other things that would work ie washer fluid,anti freeze etc. The reason I found out was that it weighed more. I think it's in my 8N manual.

brandonlee012
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78653
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub. Serial #97700

Postby brandonlee012 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:50 am

Barnyard wrote:
brandonlee012 wrote:tires ballasted with water

Are you sure it is water and not calcium chloride. If it is calcium, becare any pets don't drink it when drained. It will also kill grass.

I followed my Dad's advice and the taste test indicated no calcium. Plus. The rim was in very good condition. The valve core broke off in the stem and the stem separated from the tube. New tube is in the mail. :D

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:24 pm

I am thoroughly convinced that tractors get "shipping fever." Issues that you specifically checked for before money exchanged hands, and you KNOW weren't present, suddenly appear as soon as the tractor is in your yard and there is no going back.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:41 pm

i'm with you intergalactic on the fresh paint over dirt . it covers a lot . the ground/grass around the tractor painted red is a clue to the "freshness" of the paint job. coppersmythe............................. PS: i've always wanted to ask barnyard if he can remember his first cub :lol:

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Bigwally30 wrote:Over the years have found that my projects usually cost twice as much and take twice as long to do as you first figure it will take

Agreed.
Those problems, issues, are there for a reason and that’s to ensure that you have a complete bonding experience with your new Cub!
It’s never truly yours until you put your efforts into it. ;)
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Return to “Farmall Cub”