Disc Plow Setup

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rockfarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Disc Plow Setup

Postby rockfarmer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:11 am

Going to try and turn over a garden spot for the first time with a Cub and a 152 type disc plow. :? Got my feet wet by making 2 passes and only taking 4-6 inches of dirt per pass. I can clearly see the use for the scraper.

This plow came with Rocky and I have never used it or anything like it before. There is no scraper and the disc measures 25 1/4" in diameter.

152 plow mounted on 48.jpg

disc plow.jpg

Question: Will I need a main beam spreader with this setup?
152 Plow mounting 2.jpg

152 Plow mounting.jpg

Can I mount a scraper on this plow?

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Disc Plow Setup

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am

Tim,

Yes you can mount a scraper, but it will take some serious fabrication. I suggest that you take a right angle grinder and mount an aggressive wire wheel to it and then go after the face of the disk. Remove as much rust as possible and then maybe use a relatively coarse grit sanding disk on the grinder to somewhat polish the disc surface. If the disc surface is smooth you may not need a scraper. This approach my be the best option.

Have a very successful Barn Dance next month.

Gig 'Em!

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi,
Below is the Cub 152 Disc Plow owner's manual, if you don't have it. It shows the scraper, and parts for the scraper on page 14.
You might find the parts online, I don't know.
I can't tell if arm number 2, on page 14, is long enough to go up over the disc, and bolt on, there isn't any other part shown, so maybe it does. You might have known this already. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

I changed part of my post above, if you didn't see it.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 pm

A spreader bars purpose is to keep the arms on the hitch pivot pins, it also provides a place to hitch an implement. Your plow already has a spreader bar welded in. The spreader bar I think of when I hear "spreader bar" (vaguely U shaped slightly narrower than a regular drawbar with three hitch holes) is really for a Cub 152 plow. It looks to me like this may be a Hester Disc Plow. Not sure a scraper off a 152 would bolt up if you found one.

I do agree with Bill polish it up. If the grounds not to wet shouldn't be a problem. If the grounds to wet you shouldn't be plowing anyway. Worse case, get a heavy duty, yardstick sized stick and keep it on the tractor. Stop when needed and knock the dirt off without having to get out of the seat.

If you haven't set them, it will work much easier when the front axle is spaced out to ride in the previous furrow and the right rear wheel is set to ride in the furrow you are making.

rockfarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:50 am

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts and advice. I found numbers on the plow beginning with an A followed by 4 numbers, can't remember them right now and did not take a pic. I figured it wasn't a 152 plow but did not know the manufacturer and was unsure of the custom built mounting attachment.

Once the plow was properly mounted, I puckered up and made 4 shallow passes encountering only 2 large rocks 70-80 lbs).
1st pass with disc plow.jpg

Back yard first plow.jpg

The disc performed well as did the tractor. Matter of fact the tractor ran better afterwards.

Hope this mess eventually turns into a beautiful garden.
1st plow.jpg

When I get it squared up :lol: should be about a 30' x 90' spot or 7-8 rows.
Rocks Rocks everywhere.jpg

Spring break starts this weekend for our two boys. Just in time to pick up rocks :D

Now looking for a disc harrow...found a 23A for $450. Is this a good price? for the buyer?