This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not out of the woods yet

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Not out of the woods yet

Postby ScottyG » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:01 pm

Well, I really ran my engine tonight to try and break it in a little. Adjusting the governor, idle, etc. I still have a high oil pressure problem that comes from the filter chamber. How do I know? Because oil came spewing out of the filter cover. The pressure was so great that it made its way past the bolt hole and all over the side of the engine.

Ok experts. When I had the engine apart, I hosed out the gallerys. So, that's not it. I found a blockage in the oil filter bolt orifice and cleaned that out but since I still have high pressure, that can't be it. I'm now thinking that the return to the pan is the source of the block. Any other ideas? what would cause such a back pressure to make oil run out of the filter cover?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:17 pm

You didn't say what your oil pressure reading was. Is it normal (35 or so pounds)? the reason I ask is that leak is not uncommon. there is supposed to be a copper washer under the bolt for a seal, but most of the time they leak, frequently after repalcing with a new washer. both of my cubs have another washer cut form a piece of gasket material on each side of the copper washer to stop the leak.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:20 pm

Is the oil filter new? If it is clogged up I would think it would cause high pressure. If not then you are probably on the right track with a clog into the rest of the engine. I haven't done any work inside with the bearings and such but doesn't worn bearing caps cause high pressure too. I am sure someone who does know what is in there will clear this up.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:24 pm

Pressure 75 lbs+, filter brandy new. And... this is no mere leak, it's spewing oil. Bearings were just replaced too.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:51 pm

Pressure Regulator Valve (hex head plug located on side of engine just below governor if i remeber correctly) should open at aobut 35 to 40 pounds. this will limit pressure in entire system. It may be stuck or installed incorrectly.

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:03 pm

John,

I'll certainly try there but I have my doubts since this was an area under scrutiny before I opened my engine up. Would I get back pressure in the filter casing if the return is plugged?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:08 pm

yes, but since it is comon with the rest of the system the relief should still open and reduce it. the filter bolt has an orifice in it to allow oil flow, you mihg tcheck it

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:27 am

Pressure regulator valve. 99.999 percent for sure. Either the valve is stuck or someone put in a heavier spring. The last thing would be that the gallery leading to the pressure relief valve is plugged.

Remove the hex nut - remove the spring - leave the plunger (valve) in the bore if you can't get it out, replace the hex nut. Start the engine. Keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge. This should do two things - blow the plunger back towards the hex nut and reduce the oil pressure to next to zero.

Run the engine for only 20 seconds or less - normal time for the oil pressure to come up.

If the oil pressure remains high - check the location of the plunger (valve). If the valve is not back against the hex nut - it's stuck REALLY STUCK or the gallery is plugged.

Eugene