Need to repair Touch Control - which version do I have?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tamalecks
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need to repair Touch Control - which version do I have?

Postby tamalecks » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 am

Hi, I'm not a regular visitor but have sought help here in the past. I have a '58 Cub LoBoy (S# 6863J) and it looks like I will have to repair a leaking Touch Control block. I have found the instruction pages on this site but I don't know what parts to order. There appears to be an old and new version of the Touch Control. Can you help me sort this out?
Al
Jordan NY
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need to repair Touch Control - which version do I have?

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:10 pm

TM Tractor Parts shows the two different kits and which block they go with. http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/hy_001newparts.htm
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Tractors with cylinder block numbers 351981R1 or 354383R1 through 354383R4 need kit number 354008R95.

Tractors with cylinder block number 360719R1 need kit number 360713R92.

The block part number is below the fill plug.

Both are available from TM Tractor Parts or your local CaseIH dealer.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

tamalecks
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tamalecks » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Thank you both. It didn't occur to me the number would be visible on the part itself.
Al
Jordan NY
Al Eckstadt

Jordan, NY

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm not sure which blocks are like this, but some blocks have the number near the piston, "inside" the front of the block.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi,
If your Touch Control is leaking at the front area of the block, it might be the Control Valve leaking. If nothing is leaking at the rear of the block, near the dash, it might not need a complete rebuild.
The Control Valve slides out the front of the Touch Control. It has 1, o ring on it that can cause a leak.
If the Control Valve is leaking, you would need to replace it's o ring anyway, to stop the leak, even if you rebuilt other areas of the unit.

Use a light and look up under the front of the Touch Control. Move the lever, and you can see the Control Valve move in and out of the block.
The piston, above the control valve could leak too, if it is, the block has to be disassembled to replace the o ring for that. Look with the light and see if it is leaking.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for the o ring. There is a pic there of where it is. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/674fp.htm

Dale, I think the 360719R1 Touch Controls with the number inside the front area of the block came out in the mid or late 1960's or early 1970's, but I'm not sure. You would probably need to look at some Cubs to see.

MiCarl
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:32 pm

On mine the upper piston, the one that moves the rock shaft, has two 0-rings with an internal drain between them. Seems very unlikely to visibly leak even with bad o-rings.

Among other issues my control valve was leaking. It was readily apparent on disassembly because the leather boot was saturated with oil.

Once the linkage and boot are removed from the control valve it pulls right out of the block. If my only issue was leaking there I'd be tempted to just pull it out and replace the one o-ring.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

tamalecks
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tamalecks » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:44 pm

Very thankful for this information. I was looking at it today and it does appear to be leaking at the control valve. Hydraulic oil is dripping out of the round cover on the bell housing. Can the control valve leak oil into the bell housing?
Al Eckstadt

Jordan, NY

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Nope! Only the rear engine seal or the front transmission seal can get oil inside the housing.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:48 pm

Hi,
The Touch Control and clutch housing are both sealed where they meet. Touch Control fluid can't get into the clutch housing. Fluid may be running down the outside of the housing, and dripping off where the round hand hole cover is.
You could clean the area, and run it some, and see where it runs down, and drips off.

To replace the Control Valve o ring, if it won't slide out in the room there is ahead of the Touch Control, you will need drain the fluid, the manual pages below tell how.
Remove the tubes from the pump end, and the block end, remove the 4 bolts that hold it to the clutch housing, and lift up the front of the Touch Control block, or remove the unit to a work bench.
Might need to remove the hood, choke rod, and exhaust pipe, if it has under axle exhaust, to move the unit out the left side. Disconnect the control rod, to remove the unit to a bench.
It might go out the right side, not sure.
There are 2 o rings at the pump end of the tubes, to seal there, and a gasket at the rear of the tubes. They probably need replacing if you take the tubes off.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has them.

Be sure to keep everything clean, when you take the Control Valve out.
Inspect the valve for any sharp places that could cut the o ring, on the end that is not inside the unit, file them smooth, if needed.
Use plenty of clean Hy-Tran fluid, when putting the new o ring on the Control Valve, coat the valve, and o ring.
Check the end of the hole in the block where the valve goes in, before putting the valve in, be sure it is smooth, rough places can cut the new o ring.

When you put it together again, the system needs to be filled to the proper level, and the air removed.
Below are pages from the 1957 LoBoy owner's manual, telling how to change the fluid, fill, and remove the air from the system, beginning on the right side of the 1st page.
Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4 on the 2nd page to remove the air. The arms have to go through their full travel 10 - 12 times.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2064.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2065.jpg

There is no pic in the LoBoy manual of the left side of the Touch Control. This page below shows where the filler plug, and other parts are, maybe you know already.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-65.jpg

The system holds 3 1/2 Pints of fluid, to change the fluid, the manual says.

Nowadays they use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid in the Touch Control. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, if you buy one, be sure it works with IH systems before buying it.

Be sure and fill it the last time with the arms in the rear, or down position, like it says in the manual.
The fluid rises in the unit as the arms go to the rear position, so if you fill it with the arms ahead, it will have too much fluid in it. :)