This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grandpa's old cub is living again

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mach5rider
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43081

Grandpa's old cub is living again

Postby Mach5rider » Wed May 08, 2019 9:36 pm

Grandpa's old Cub Loboy is finally coming together and looking like a tractor. My daughter and I took it for the maiden voyage - first time under it's own power since it was disassembled at least 30 years ago.
The short story is: freed stuck valves, new head gasket, carb, sediment bowl, clutch, wiring harness, electronic ignition, alternator, rebuilt starter, brakes, seat, rebuilt hydraulic touch control, rebuilt danco 5' deck, rebuilt Servis 5' deck. and many other things I'm forgetting.
I'm currently assemling the sheet metal and getting a fuel line from the sediment bowl to the carb. However my sediment bowl seems to be leaking around the gasket - slowly weeping from the top of the bowl. I wonder if it has to do with the screen interfering with the gasket seal. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? I have a new sediment bowl but it seems to have different threads and doesn't fit my fuel line. So a new fuel line or adapter could be a possibility, but it's always good to see the original IH parts still doing their job after all these years. I'm trying to get this going as we're well into spring here in Ohio and it would sure be fun to get some seat time on it.
Thanks to all who contribute to this site as it has been invaluable to me on this project.
If I can figure out picture posting I'd put one in.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Grandpa's old cub is living again

Postby Glen » Wed May 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi,
Good that you have the Cub running again. :)

Often the gas strainer bowl gasket won't seal if it is old, and you try to reuse it. They need a new gasket. TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has them.
There is supposed to be a screen above the gasket, all of them I've seen are smaller than the OD of the gasket, so it doesn't interfere with the gasket sealing.
Sometimes the nut needs to be tightened slightly with pliers, if it won't stop dripping.

If the Cub has Touch Control, and the hood is on, move the Touch Control arms to the rear or down position before working on the gas strainer, it is easier to get to the strainer. :)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu May 09, 2019 7:01 am

Good advice from Glen.

If the brass screen is the same diameter as your gasket, chances are it won't seal. Use a pair of sharp scissors (not your wife's :)) and trim off approximately 1/8" all around the screen. Reinstall and check. Additional trimming may be required. Just don't trim it too much; shouldn't be smaller diameter than inside diameter of gasket.

Glad to read you have your LoBoy up and running. Take some pics and post; we'd like to see.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri May 10, 2019 7:06 am

The metal seat can warp/deform over time from over tightening the bail. Test the seat for flatness by firmly holding the glass bowl in place without the gasket or screen and see if it will rock back and forth.
I have also seen one where the hooks on the bail, or the shape of the bail, was slightly off and the thumb nut bottomed out on the threads before it pulled tight enough to seal.

Mach5rider
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mach5rider » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:41 pm

I realize this is an old thread now, but i feel i should close the loop: i had a new large screen and it was as described by Stanton above. Once i switched to the old screen, with a new seal, it has been sealing ever since. In fact for an old machine, I'm impressed overall with the lack of fluids on the garage floor. There is a weep of grease at the rear of the final drives and thats all ive noticed.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Mach5rider wrote:I realize this is an old thread now, but i feel i should close the loop: i had a new large screen and it was as described by Stanton above. Once i switched to the old screen, with a new seal, it has been sealing ever since. In fact for an old machine, I'm impressed overall with the lack of fluids on the garage floor. There is a weep of grease at the rear of the final drives and thats all ive noticed.

Congrats on the fix.

Sometimes ya just gotta tip your hat to those engineers, parts builders and assemblers ect. behind these Cubs. They did well!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:04 am

Mach5rider wrote:I realize this is an old thread now, but i feel i should close the loop: i had a new large screen and it was as described by Stanton above. Once i switched to the old screen, with a new seal, it has been sealing ever since. In fact for an old machine, I'm impressed overall with the lack of fluids on the garage floor. There is a weep of grease at the rear of the final drives and thats all ive noticed.

Glad to hear you got it fixed up!

BTW: It's perfectly alright for the original poster of a thread to come back after some time away and update everyone. So, thanks for doing that.

:hattip:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Mach5rider
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mach5rider » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks to all for providing this useful platform and generously sharing information to enable us new folks to learn and have the tools to keep these tractors going for another generation.

Some photos below as we were figuring out the deck mounting and my wife putting it to use pulling some down trees:

rsz_20190930_122359.jpg

rsz_20200324_110826.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”