Magneto oil seal removal

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Magneto oil seal removal

Postby Posco » Mon May 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Any tips on removing the old seal without removing the governor? I hope to never have to remove the governor again, getting it back in it was the worst experience in my Cub life.

wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 85233
Tractors Owned: 47 Fcub
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Re: Magneto oil seal removal

Postby wrz » Mon May 13, 2019 3:32 pm

1. Take an awl and punch two holes 180 degrees apart on metal ring of the seal.
2. Screw in 2 self tapping sheet metal screws.
3. Using a cats paw pull on each screw back and forth and it will work loose.
$. Insert new seal to proper shop manual clearance. ( I always put some black plastic tape on sharp edges where the slot is cut on the hub so it won't damage the new seal and remove tape after the seal is in place.) Farmertan makes a gauge out of plastic to set the seal the correct distance. On the site someone has made one out of wood.
Wm

Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon May 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Thank you for the tip. I made a depth gauge out of 23/32 plywood the last time I replaced a seal four or five years ago. I'm still working up the courage to replace the seal but I'll let you know how I make out once I'm done.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon May 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi,
The seal shouldn't be leaking in only 4 or 5 years.
Look closely and see if the seal lip was facing ahead, or if it turned backwards when it was put in.

Many of the new seals are thinner than the old seals were. You may have to adjust the seal's position in the hole so it fits in the right place on the gear's seal surface.
If possible, position it so it runs on a place that the old seal didn't.
The metal surface on the gear may need sanding, to smooth it up, if it is rough.

Clean the hole for the seal, remove all oil, and put a thin layer of sealer on the OD of the seal, so it seals well in the hole, oil can leak by the OD of the seal, if it doesn't seal well.

Be sure the seal lip is facing forward, and the spring stays in place.
Oil the seal rubber and metal surface before putting the seal in.
Don't hammer directly on a new seal. Just some info, maybe you knew already. :)

Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Posco » Tue May 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Hey, Glen

Thanks for the response. It is possible I put the last seal in backward, I'll make sure to check for that when I pull it out.

I used Indianhead sealant on the last one. That stuff is tacky and I suspect the old seal is going to come out dry. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again.

Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am

I got the old seal out and it was no easy task. Putting the new seal in isn't proving to be much easier. I used a block of wood to distribute the force across the face of the seal and I have it in just about flush with the housing right now.

I bought a tool from a fellow here four of five years ago to set the seal to its proper depth. Again, I'm using a block of wood to distribute the force but that seal doesn't want to go in. It's dry! Do you guys use a three pound hammer?

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Fri May 17, 2019 1:03 pm

I put the seal in the freezer to shrink it a little before installation.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri May 17, 2019 2:50 pm

It shouldn't be that difficult to seat. Did you clean up the surface of the recess before you started? Any rust, corrosion or left over material will make it more difficult. Also verify that you are using the correct seal.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Don McCombs wrote:It shouldn't be that difficult to seat. Did you clean up the surface of the recess before you started? Any rust, corrosion or left over material will make it more difficult. Also verify that you are using the correct seal.

I didn't think it would be that hard. I wiped the inside of the housing and rubbed it down with steel wool and wiped it again. It sure looked clean to me. I'll take another look at the box the seal came in but I'm confident I have the right one.

Thanks for the tip, Bill V. I'll try that next time.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri May 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi,
If you are sure it's the right seal, you probably just have to hammer it harder to drive it in.
Go a small distance at a time, when the rubber is going over the gear surface, and be sure the seal lip stays in it's proper shape, pointed ahead. They can turn backwards, don't allow it to turn backwards.
Use a light if needed to check it.
If it starts to turn backwards, use a small screwdriver, that has no rough or sharp places on it, to work the rubber ahead again. Be careful, and don't damage the rubber. :)

Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Posco » Sat May 18, 2019 7:17 am

Glen wrote:Hi, If you are sure it's the right seal, you probably just have to hammer it harder to drive it in.

Hey, Glen

I'll double check the box but I'm pretty sure it is the correct seal. I think I may have already damaged the new seal. There is a very fine spring that I assume is there to help keep the rubber in place. The spring isn't damaged but it's partially outside the rubber and exposed.

Thus far, I've driven the seal flush with the housing but before I have to go through the hassle of removing it after it's fully seated I think I'll yank it, order another one and try again. The weatherman is calling for several days of rain so I can't use the tractor anyway.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Glen » Sat May 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi,
If you can see the spring in the seal when you are putting it in from the rear, the seal is backwards.
The seal lip has to face ahead.
The spring can be put back in place in the seal, if the spring is not damaged.

The seal will probably not seal facing backwards.

Below is a listing for the seal at TM Tractor. The side with the name faces the rear, the side where you can see the spring faces ahead.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gv/436fp.htm

tst has said on here that you can pack a seal with grease, on the side with the spring, before installing the seal, it helps keep the spring in place. :)

Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon May 20, 2019 8:31 am

Glen wrote:Hi, If you can see the spring in the seal when you are putting it in from the rear, the seal is backwards.
The seal lip has to face ahead.
The spring can be put back in place in the seal, if the spring is not damaged.

tst has said on here that you can pack a seal with grease, on the side with the spring, before installing the seal, it helps keep the spring in place. :)

Here's a pic, Glen. I've driven it flush but this is as far as I can get it short of going to a bigger hammer. Does it look like it's correctly installed as far as orientation goes?

I've got another seal coming in mid week and will give it another shot. I'll be giving tst's tip a try. Thanks for passing that along.
Attachments
IMG_1124.JPG

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Glen » Mon May 20, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the pic.
The seal is in the correct direction, too bad the spring has come partly out of it. You can put the spring back in place again.
Normally, the spring could only be seen from the 1 side of the seal. That is why I said it was backwards in the post above.

Posco
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Posco » Sat May 25, 2019 8:57 am

Got my courage up to try it again this morning and succeeded. I froze the seal as suggested and also lined the inside of the seal with grease to help keep the spring in place.

I wiped the inside of the housing with steel wool and then wiped it again with a metal prep to remove any residue that might be present.

I started the seal with a block of wood and drove it flush with the housing. This little insertion tool made it possible to drive the seal to its proper depth. It still wasn't what I would describe as easy but the seal is undamaged and in place.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
IMG_1140.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG