This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mowing w/Woods 59

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mowing w/Woods 59

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat May 25, 2019 8:07 pm

john2189 wrote:Mine is third from the bottom, but that doesn’t mean it’s right for your setup.

One other thing to keep in mind for the Woods 59 at least is that the mower deck pivots at that rear hole as you raise and lower it. If you frequently deal with heavy stuff, you may want to use a higher hole than normal.
As mine is now, the front is a bit lower than the back at standard cutting height as it should be. However, when the grass gets thick and I raise the deck to do a partial-height first cut, it tips the deck up so that it is now double cutting and I still bog down.
I plan to work on some long-frozen nuts this weekend to see if I can resolve this with a more aggressive foreword angle.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat May 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Crimson Tim wrote:
john2189 wrote:Mine is third from the bottom, but that doesn’t mean it’s right for your setup.

One other thing to keep in mind for the Woods 59 at least is that the mower deck pivots at that rear hole as you raise and lower it. If you frequently cut heavy stuff, you may want to use a higher hole than normal.
As mine is now, the front is a bit lower than the back at standard cutting height, as it should be. However, when the grass gets thick and I raise the deck to do a partial-height first cut, it tips the deck up so that it is now double cutting and I still bog down.
I plan to work on some long-frozen nuts this weekend to see if I can resolve this with a more aggressive foreword angle.

I’m sure not getting the performance that Bill is out of this combination. I have a laundry list of things to check and tweak that should get things as strong as they can be, but didn’t think the improvement would be particularly noticeable . Thanks for the practical reference, Bill! Now that I know just how much potential power I’m lacking, I’m more motivated to get to work on it.
:thanx:

robertgebhard
Zip Code: 14772

Postby robertgebhard » Thu May 30, 2019 9:10 am

We had that Woods mower for many years and it was used for several yards each week. I have a hilly yard and usually had to mow in 1st. Never had a problem with it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”