Cub final attachment lower bolts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Cub final attachment lower bolts

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 pm

A while back a local neighbor tore the bolts out of the finals where the lower side brackets bolt to. They were regular bolts, no tapered heads. The guy repairing it I talked with wasn’t familiar with the cub setup. I explained to him those bolts should of been tapered at the heads. He drilled and tapped the final holes over sized for threaded rod so he could use ford truck tapered nuts. It ain’t orginal but probably stronger. He thanked me later.

The moral of my story is to use the correct IH bolts.

One more thought, I used those aluminum wheel spacers for dual wheels on my fcub. I used the tapered washers from the woods wheel spacers to capture the lug holes so the rims didn’t float on the bolts. The diaries held up ok. You can’t bolt the rims to a flat surface with no tapered washers.

I been dealing with http://www.boltdepot.com for fasteners. They have affordable prices and fast shipping on inch and metric fasteners. Since I been building chainsaws they have been my go to place for metric fasteners. I’m building a 100 cc hot saw right now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub final attachment lower bolts

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi,
Below are listings at TM Tractor for 2 different lengths of the IH tapered head implement bolts, you can look at the pics. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gb/324fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/sp/445fp.htm

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:28 pm

They were stripped out so bad he cut threaded rods to make studs larger in diameter. Then he used ford truck tapered lug nuts. I guess the owner drove it a longtime and they wallowed out the holes beyond heli coiling them. It’s a good solid fix not orginal but she’ll hold.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub
'55 Cub with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 pm

The only problem you MIGHT have is that with the larger tapered head (nut), it may not fit down into the cub brackets very well. A friend of mine has an oversized tapered bolt in the clutch housing fitting for a sickle mower, and it keeps coming loose, because it is not going completely into the tapered hole. We will be putting in a helicoil for the correct size tapered bolt to aleviate this problem.

I'm not sure what implement or drawbar you are using, but those tapered bolts must seat down firmly into the tapered holes.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:58 pm

There are also solid inserts that come in various od's that can be used if the hole is too big for the proper size helicoil.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein