The proper way to shift your Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: The proper way to shift your Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:46 pm

ntrenn wrote:Been shifting mine wrong for 50 years...still on original tranny and clutch.

Yeah, me too.

Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub

Postby Shane N. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:29 am

Jim Becker wrote:
ntrenn wrote:Been shifting mine wrong for 50 years...still on original tranny and clutch.

Yeah, me too.

That makes three of us.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:52 am

This discussion reminds me of something.

Back when I was a kid, a neighbor had my father do some minor thing to his Super A. He had his son (maybe a year older than me) drive the tractor over while he come over in his truck. The whole trip was under a mile and a half. The father got to our place, said the tractor was on its way, and then everybody waited. From our yard, you could easily see nearly half way to their place. Eventually the tractor came into sight. Then we waited and watched some more. Turned out, he had made the whole trip in third because he couldn't get the tractor started in fourth. We were all bewildered.

When the tractor was ready for the return trip, the son got back on the tractor, put it in third and started out the driveway. My dad took about 3 steps and hopped up on the drawbar, saying "put the clutch down". As soon as the kid recovered from the shock of having somebody yelling straight in his ear, he complied. Dad pulled the shift lever back into fourth, yelled "now go" and stepped back off the drawbar. we never did find out what the kid did when he got to the stop sign two thirds of the way home.

Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-54A Leveling and Grader Blade
Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Unknown 5' Single Gang Disc Harrow

Postby Urbish » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Jim Becker wrote:This discussion reminds me of something.

Back when I was a kid, a neighbor had my father do some minor thing to his Super A. He had his son (maybe a year older than me) drive the tractor over while he come over in his truck. The whole trip was under a mile and a half. The father got to our place, said the tractor was on its way, and then everybody waited. From our yard, you could easily see nearly half way to their place. Eventually the tractor came into sight. Then we waited and watched some more. Turned out, he had made the whole trip in third because he couldn't get the tractor started in fourth. We were all bewildered.

When the tractor was ready for the return trip, the son got back on the tractor, put it in third and started out the driveway. My dad took about 3 steps and hopped up on the drawbar, saying "put the clutch down". As soon as the kid recovered from the shock of having somebody yelling straight in his ear, he complied. Dad pulled the shift lever back into fourth, yelled "now go" and stepped back off the drawbar. we never did find out what the kid did when he got to the stop sign two thirds of the way home.

:lol:
Jim

Circle of Safety