This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front Cultivator ??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Front Cultivator ??

Postby Donny M » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:29 pm

I'm putting together a set of front cultivators, complied form 2 sets.
The manual shows a length of 23 1/4" CL to CL for the pressure springs, this works well on the right side but on the left side of the tractor the length wants to be 22" or so to keep the top of the tool bar from hitting the torque tube. This also lowers the tool bar and shovels. I'm wondering if this is normal or if I've don't something wrong :?: :oops:
8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:44 pm

Donny, First I would adust the "yoke" or pressure screw n the universal frame linkage so that the tool bars are parallel to the ground. Then adjust the pressure rods so that they are the same distance from ground to tool bar on both sides. Just make the rods as close to the 23 1/4" as possible.
The tool bars should clear if not adjust the pressure rods accordingly.

Rondell

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:49 pm

I just went out and took a look. The only mounting frames I have on a tractor right now have a planter attached so I can't make a full comparison. On that one, the left pressure rod is set right at 23 1/4 and the mounting frame clears OK. Eyeballing the situation, it doesn't look like the tool bar would hit the tractor at that position either. Of course, setting the hydraulic stops could have some effect and I am not sure (without starting the tractor . . .) that the Touch Control arm is fully forward. It may be that you just need to set the stop on the Touch Control lever to keep from hitting the bottom of the tractor.

Since you are asembling this from a couple units, the opportunities for mix and match of parts is pretty big. A picture of where you stand now or more detail on what combination of tool bars and working tools you are using might help sort it out. One thought that comes to mind is the different lengths of standards on various tools. Spring trips, for example, come with either 11 1/4 inch or 12 3/4 inch standards. The short one is typically used on the front tool bar extensions and has to be used on the left or the standard itself will hit the bottom of the tractor. Other tools have similar differences.

I checked a couple other pressure rods on the cultivator pile and found them both set somewhat shorter than the one on the tractor. You can read into that accordingly.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:39 pm

Ok, I lowered the touch control then set the left side to 23 1/4". Now the left side is higher than the right. Here's some pictures.

Left side:

And the right:

8)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:44 pm

Donny,

Does this picture help any?

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/front_bars1_001.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:25 pm

Don,

Believe me I've seen those pictures numerous times :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
With all the sorted parts I have it's like putting together a jig saw puzzle. Only much more fun :!: :lol:

I think I'm pretty close now, but some fine tuning may be in order.
8)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:12 pm

After looking at your pictures, it looks to me like Rondell was on the right track with his first suggestion. You need to unscrew the yoke (lengthen the upper parallel link) until the tool bars are parallel to the ground. Then you can start tweaking some of the other adjustments.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:27 pm

Jim,

I was thinking the same thing before I looked at the pictures on TM's web site. Looked to me in the pctures that the yoke was shanked out as is mine. Makes perfect sense now.
Thanks everyone :!:
8)

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:39 pm

Getting serious about gardening this spring? You semi-retired guys make me jealous. 8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:28 pm

Jim, Rondell,

I adjusted the length so that the tool bars are parallel with the ground. It's much better, thanks. Here's some pictures, what do you think :?:

Left Side:

Tool Bar Mounting bolt: Pretty Close :?:

Front Of Tractor:

8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:50 pm

It would appear that you have a frisbee game going on in the background.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:53 pm

Lookin real good Donny :mrgreen:

Now you are going t6o have to paint em up nice n pretty like the plow.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:11 pm

Rondell,

That's exactly the plan. I want to make sure that all the pieces I needed where there and fit properly. I'll blast them and paint them in the next couple of days.

Bigdog,

That's not a Frisbee :!: A Frisbee only lasts about a day before it's in tiny pieces :lol: What you see is a cover for an irrigation valve. Those covers last a good long time :!:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:39 pm

Looks like you had to crank that adjustment out a long way. It is looking a whole lot better.

Some of the pivot points on the mounting frames have 2 bolts going through the cast part. Sometimes slack can be taken out of the pivot by tightening the bolts. I suggest you check them. If there is too much wear, you won't be able to squeeze it all out. Then tweak any other adjustments so the points all reach the ground at the same time and you will be in pretty good shape.

meandmydeere
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49345
Tractors Owned: 1937 John Deere "B"
1941 John Deere "LA"
1947 John Deere "D"
1952 John Deere "B"
1949 John Deere "A"
(2) 1970 John Deere "70" L/G
1971 Case 442 L/G
1953 Farmall Cub
1962 Farmall Cub Lo Boy
w/Wagner loader
assortment of plows. disk,harvestors.

Postby meandmydeere » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Spring can't come early enough here but wherever you are, you have us beat. You cultvate before you plow. Or is it that when you see how bad the crop is, you can just drop the plow?
Mark
My wife say's I never listen to her, or something like that.
Amateur Extra class radio call sign AB8MS

Return to “Farmall Cub”