What is this part?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
halftonstude
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 06482
Circle of Safety: Y

What is this part?

Postby halftonstude » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:41 pm

So i'm reassembling my '52 cub and using the photos i took during disassembly to assist. I found these two parts in my bin, they're painted and ready to go. I know from where i took them, but they're not anywhere in a parts manual i look. I've got a nov '52 tractor, using TC-37C parts manual, and the part isn't there.

side channel parts book.png
side channel parts book.png (27.38 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Yet here it is on the tractor when i took it apart:

side channel tractor.png
side channel tractor.png (83.05 KiB) Viewed 906 times

See it on the top of the radiator side channel? it's a little bracket that was wrapped with rubber tape (not electrical, soft rubber tape) that looks like it could have been a guide for keeping the hood from rocking back and forth, but why isn't it in the parts manual? While reassembling the ignition portion I also noticed that the little bracket for the coil isn't shown in the parts manual either... makes me wonder am i using the right manual?

i'll be putting the brackets back on just wondering what they're for.

enjoying the ride!
c

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub "Bernie" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Re: What is this part?

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:48 pm

They are SUPPOSED to be welded (originally spot welded) onto the hood. They provide THE support for the front half of the hood/tank, the rear provided by the instrument panel ("rear hood support").

Without them solidly attached to the hood, the hood can rest on the radiator, only supported by the doglegs. If you still have both tabs, you probabaly have little holes in the hood where they broke out. You need to reattach them.

Check out the photos from TM Tractors, a forum sponsor. They sell new brackets, and the are welded in place:
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/827fp.htm
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

halftonstude
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby halftonstude » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:06 pm

well shucky darn and slop the chickens... if you zoom into the hood real close you can just see the hole on one. alrighty then. i'm hosed. hood is sanded painted polished, now i gotta figure out how to re-attach them to the hood my goodness what a conundrum i'm in now!!! Thanks Dale. looking back at my photos i'm thinking how the HECK did you recognize those parts my goodness that's amazing! thank you! i'm in a world of hurt now, but thank you nonetheless!
c

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Maybe you can find some SUPER DUPER epoxy!! I feel your hurt! :(
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

halftonstude
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby halftonstude » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Dale would epoxy even hold? i've used epoxy for some stuff before but this seems like a weld is the right thing. the darn hood is painted. darn. i might be able to solder it on fast, take advantage of the massive amount of surface area of the hood to take the heat away before it blisters the paint - using a large soldering copper or large iron.... darn darn darn. thanks for pointing it out, that hood would have been rattling around. HEY i got an idea! I replaced the cab corners on my 93 chevy pickup and used 3m body adhesive, no welding or riveting needed, that just might work! It's a structural part but not that much force on it, darn i may have stumbed upon something! thanks for the great idea! this just might work!!! rough up the inside of the hood, rough up the brackets, wow you may have just saved me some frustration!!!
c

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Whether you are welding or "gluing", you need to get the brackets in the right place.

I replaced them on one of my cubs...and I BELIEVE this is the sequence I used to get the position correct.
First, I bolted the two tabs onto the radiator side brackets. Then I installed the hood, without fully tightening the 4 panel screws. Then installed the doglegs, also without fully tightening the 4 small screws on each side. Then I installed the grill. Once I had the grill fully centered and positioned so it fit top to bottom, I checked that the radiator filler neck was also centered and the overflow pipe/tubing was clear. With help, the hood was held in that position while the dogleg screws were tightened down (making sure they were not bowed out), along with the panel scews. Once that was done, I removed the grill, giving me access to the inside of the hood to mark where the bracket was.

My memory is not the best, and someone else may have an easier way to do it, but it worked for me. Good luck!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:53 pm

Shinny stainless steel bolt. I drilled out my hood and the bracket to accept a bolt, nut, lock washer. But my tractor is work pretty.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi,
The 2 front hood brackets have to be attached in the right place, so the hood is in the right position.
You should set the hood on, and attach it at the rear, then figure out the height at the front.
The grille has to fit in the space, it won't fit if the hood is too low at the front, neither would the hood side panels fit. :)

Looks like Dale posted about when I did.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Another possibility occured to me when I looked at your photo again. The old bracket might have a chunk of the hood still attached, which made me wonder if you needed to start with new ones. Then I was thinking, if you ARE trying to "glue" them on, the larger the surface, the better, so maybe you could weld a piece of metal to the bracket (new or old) to give it more surface area. It just needs to match the contour of the inside of the hood where it will go.
Just a thought... :big embarrased:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Eugene wrote:Shinny stainless steel bolt. I drilled out my hood and the bracket to accept a bolt, nut, lock washer. But my tractor is work pretty.
same thing on one of mine. I was doing a working restore (bored engine, replaced all sea;s and any worn bearings I could find, and while apart wire wheeled and repainted). When I was reassembling I realized the 2 brackets were on the radiator support rather than hood. I drilled 2 holes in each bracket and bolted them on with stove bolts, leaving the bolts a little loose till the hood was bolted in place, then tightened them (requires a little finagling). Those bolts are partly hidden by headlights, so ver4y few people notice them, and if you give them a little touch up with red paint, only someone critiquing your restore job will spot them. Mine has been that way for around 15 years.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

halftonstude
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby halftonstude » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:58 pm

My brackets are in great shape. Might even be replacements. Underside of the hood has two LARGE gobs of weld that looks more like bubblegum stuck under a chair... I’ll have to carefully grind the welds off then I’ll be using 3M DP420NS for this job. I like the idea of welding to the tabs to increase the surface area. The 420NS has a shear strength of 4500 psi. That’s a lot for two small brackets but I don’t want to have to do it twice. I like the idea! Thanks for the method of positioning too Dale.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Look at it this way, the proper way to attach them is to weld them back in place. To do that you can kiss any nice paint job goodbye.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 am

halftonstude wrote:My brackets are in great shape. Might even be replacements. Underside of the hood has two LARGE gobs of weld that looks more like bubblegum stuck under a chair... I’ll have to carefully grind the welds off then I’ll be using 3M DP420NS for this job. I like the idea of welding to the tabs to increase the surface area. The 420NS has a shear strength of 4500 psi. That’s a lot for two small brackets but I don’t want to have to do it twice. I like the idea! Thanks for the method of positioning too Dale.

On the other hand, as long as they were correctly located before, those blobs of weld may provide good location registration for where the tabs need to go.

Dave2017
Zip Code: 62814
Tractors Owned: 1) Farm all cub.

Postby Dave2017 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:15 am

I did the same thing. I ended up making new brackets and welded them to the area that is hidden by the grill. It did require touching up but a damp rag on the exposed pain kept the paint from being ruined where it can be seen. This is not a show tractor either. Hope this helps.
55655DC7-B829-4AB2-93E7-17AE09431D25.jpeg
Circle of Safety

Ky Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 41094

Postby Ky Cub » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Might be a good time to try Mr. J.B.Weld.