This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New vent hole

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482
Circle of Safety: Y

New vent hole

Postby halftonstude » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi gang,
i took the cub for a ride today... first time in 13 months since i started the restoration and it's all back together!!! As an engineer, I like to think that things were done a certain way for a reason. Though I may not know the reason, doesn't mean there wasn't one. So when i search the forum archives for "vent hole" i find plenty (17 pages) of topics about the steering gear box, and the fill plug vent hole. How when the front bolster gets hot, gear oil may get pushed out past the seal because the vent hole is plugged. I cleaned mine, and do not expect any issues from it. However.. upon looking at other areas of the tractor, i see plenty of places where a vent hole might help. Like the transmission fill plug, or the rear finals as well. Do any of the experts here have an opinion? The differential in a car uses hypoid gear oil because of the extreme pressures and temperatures generated during use, and automobile rear ends have vents (at least my Studebaker does...) so why wouldn't our tractors? If the steering box does, couldn't the tranny too to prevent oil from being pushed out past the differential seals? And though the finals have only spur gears, couldn't they be subject to increased operating temperatures due to the pressure exerted on the oil by the gears? The finals may be a mess because of the exposure to water being splashed by puddles etc, but the transmission is no different than the steering area... fill plug on top, with a possible vent hole on the side...
do any of the experts have an opinion?
I'll post pictures of my new toy shortly... what pretty little tractors these are!!
thanks in advance for the advice
c

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Re: New vent hole

Postby Waif » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:20 pm

Thought the tranny vented through shifter. (?)

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Waif wrote:Thought the tranny vented through shifter. (?)

Yes, the transmission isn't close to sealed. After a day of plowing the top of mine is wet from lube that gets splashed out around the shifter. Also, the differential shares the transmission housing and oil so it isn't sealed either. Anyone who has maintained a Cub for a short time knows the transmission/differential lube picks up a lot of water from condensation.

Not sure about the final drives. Perhaps the spur gears don't generate a lot of heat and there is a lot of surface area to dissipate it.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:53 pm

right right, the shifter is loosey goosey, good point. easy enough, that's the stuff that i could probably come up with if i sat long enough but the wit and wisdom of this group is so much more enjoyable. spur gears don't generate nearly as much heat as differential gears so it may not be needed down there. one step at a time thanks! just came back from a FOUR mile drive with the little cub! what a fun drive. headlights are about as bright as those on my stude, but hey, it's a tractor! chilly but a fun drive none the less. and my gps said i was doing 7! 4 miles at 7 miles per hour is not a fast trip to the neighbors house!
c

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:34 pm

The steering gear probably has the least air, as a percentage of the amount of oil. So it is probably most pressure sensitive to temperature change. The steering gear housing is also the lower radiator tank. So it gets a lot of heat from the coolant. If will run hotter than the other gear boxes.

Return to “Farmall Cub”