This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH planters, help plz

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar
Circle of Safety: Y

IH planters, help plz

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:43 pm

I'm looking for a good adjustable planter either 1 or 2 row that can be either put on a 2" toolbar or is a pull type, but I'm not sure of what their IH #'s are (like a 194 plow) What is IH names for these? What is good for multiple crops (I'm growing peas, corn, okra, tomatoes, peppers, onion squash etc) any help is greatly appreciated.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Re: IH planters, help plz

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi,
There are several IH Planter owner's manuals at Cub Info, at the top of the page, then go to Rudi's Manuals. The manuals have pics of the Planters.

The 174 Planter is a 1 row Planter, for the Cub.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

The 184 Planter looks like it is for the Cub, and other models of IH Tractors, and more than 1 can be mounted on a tool bar. The Introduction on page 3 tells about which tractors it fits.

Below is the list of implement manuals. :)

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:45 pm

is the cub 135 planter the planet jr planter???? so far it looks like the 184 and planet jr would be what I would want, at least 2 to 4 of them mounted on a toolbar would work. Does anyone know if it can do tomatoes and peppers? I know peas, beans, corn and okra work on them but what about small seed like turnips tomatoes etc???
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:46 pm

Look for an IH 185 or a JD 71. Peas and corn will be no problem to find plates for. They probably made something that will work for okra and squash.
Around here pepper and tomatoes would most likely be done as transplants.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote:is the cub 135 planter the planet jr planter???? so far it looks like the 184 and planet jr would be what I would want, at least 2 to 4 of them mounted on a toolbar would work. Does anyone know if it can do tomatoes and peppers? I know peas, beans, corn and okra work on them but what about small seed like turnips tomatoes etc???

The 135 is the Planet Jr. It's for small seeds not for corn, the smaller the seed the better. I was searching on Facebook marketplace last night and there was a guy in New England that had several of the newer units which were toolbar mounted with the plastic hoppers. You could probably search planter and find them. You could mount as many as you wanted in the rear. IH made a 5 row cub Planet Jr. rear planter it's in the manual section. Only 1 of the new style PJ's will belly mount on a cub due to the height of the new hoppers and mounts. Tomatoes can be planted by seed and IH made plates to do so but they are so rare they can't be found, and I've never seen a seed company sell tomato seed by the pound :D

Like Al said most everyone transplants tomatoes and pepper plants using tobacco setters. A cub will pull them but they really go to fast in my opinion unless you had a de-speeder or some good fast workers.

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

I like the IH 185. I also am looking at 2 Covinton planters that my neighbor is selling cheep as he just got new fast duplex planters that he is putting on the covington 2 row cultivator so he is getting rid of the old ones. I would have to make a way to lift them if I mounted them on a toolbar. But I think I can do that rather easily. The only problem is one of the 2 planters has a rusted out seed box (he has duct tape LOL to fix it but I think I can braze on some sheet metal (I'm thinking thin aluminum to prevent rust) or pop riveting it on if I used the aluminum instead of steel. Here is a pic of the Covington model TP46S like my neighbor has...
***NOTE*** ^^^^ the normal seeder (mounts on very rear)(the part that has rust hole) is missing in this photo ^^^^...
This image doesn't show the small seed/cotton planter (part #1 in the other image) I'm just getting the planters, the frame (angle iron) and the cultivator legs, sweeps etc is NOT included.
ImageCircle of Safety

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BullDAWG » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Brandon Webb wrote:
Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote:is the cub 135 planter the planet jr planter???? so far it looks like the 184 and planet jr would be what I would want, at least 2 to 4 of them mounted on a toolbar would work. Does anyone know if it can do tomatoes and peppers? I know peas, beans, corn and okra work on them but what about small seed like turnips tomatoes etc???

The 135 is the Planet Jr. It's for small seeds not for corn, the smaller the seed the better. I was searching on Facebook marketplace last night and there was a guy in New England that had several of the newer units which were toolbar mounted with the plastic hoppers. You could probably search planter and find them. You could mount as many as you wanted in the rear. IH made a 5 row cub Planet Jr. rear planter it's in the manual section. Only 1 of the new style PJ's will belly mount on a cub due to the height of the new hoppers and mounts. Tomatoes can be planted by seed and IH made plates to do so but they are so rare they can't be found, and I've never seen a seed company sell tomato seed by the pound :D

Like Al said most everyone transplants tomatoes and pepper plants using tobacco setters. A cub will pull them but they really go to fast in my opinion unless you had a de-speeder or some good fast workers.

I was also looking at those new planet Jr's and thinking of the old pull type IH had. Another option is a Jang JP planter and I could mount 2 of the 6 row planters under a cub or SA and have from 2-12 rows planted on my 48" raised beds. I've seen them modified from 3point hitch and mounted under the belly of a cub or SA (I forget which). Only thing is they are 2k each + fabricating belly hitch + $25 x (2-12) for each seed plate (some like tomatoes only 2 while lettuce would need 12, depending on how many rows per raised bed). That's my ultimate goal, but something cheap and adjustable till then, I just might need to make multiple passes after adjusting planters.
ImageCircle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”