Planting garlic with our Cubs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Re: Planting garlic with our Cubs

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am

Stanton wrote:
CapeCodCubs wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:...Turns out over the course of the last few days more places are interested in wanting to stock it. Local general stores and a smaller store that sells local meats and prepared meals.

Word-of-mouth can be the best advertisement. You may have more suitors than you can dance with. :wink:

I am afraid that might be the case. We still have a lot of seed stock left and the weather is holding off so maybe another weekend of planting is in order.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:10 pm

T-Mo wrote:It would be cool to have a video of the various steps of your operation. This is a great thread, and gives me some insight on garlic planting that I never knew.

Well, we could do that, we have more potatoes to dig up and then harrow the hills out. The planting to date is just by hand, but that will change. Then at the harvest stage, we had been doing that with a spade or pitch fork and that is due for an upgrade.
We recently picked up a complete A-33-Cub bean harvester, it is belly mounted to the universal frame and we will use that to run under the bed and cut the roots and windrow the plants. If that doesn't work then we will build something that will run under the bulbs and cut the roots.

Another aspect of growing garlic are the scapes. These are the flower bud of the plant and shoot up and curl while the flower head grows. These can be snipped off and sold by the pound for pickling or making pesto or adding to sauces.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:49 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:
Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote:
CapeCodCubs wrote: Invention is the mother of necessity, really had no choice to figure another quicker way of planting. Sarah and a 14 year old neighbor where punching holes with oak stakes and it would be lucky if they could get 200 punched and planted in a day. This changed that, and we are looking at some other ideas such as a lawn roller with pegs or modified an aerator. Or maybe just sticking with this. Either way it is an improvement over what we had been doing.

Here is one thing that might give you some ideas... Could make something better to fit your purpose or add more wheels to make the 4 rows like your doing, also note that you wouldn't have to bend over to plant the cloves, just grab what you need off the tray and pop into the holes...

PS... I'm also looking into growing garlic, how big is your garlic area? I'm thinking 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre. BUT here in Mississippi I'm limited to softnecks garlic's as the summer is too hot for the hardneck and was told they don't grow well here. ATM I have about 200 sq feet in cali white softneck and elephant garlic (yea I know its actually a leek) but I'm just starting my seed stock and would love to chat with ya about growing... I also do mainly Italian and Cajun veggies here and have 4 acres I rotate crops in and have a 1/2 acre test/seed beds to test new things or to grow seed for next year...

That is similar to something we had in mind for planting. We had a mechanical planter but sold it, kind of close. Having a way for two people to go down the row planting would be great. The ground speed of the Cub is too fast. We did purchase a despeeder for one of the Cubs to slow it down. I like the concept and saved the picture for something to think about.

Garlic is huge right now. Go for it, and yes the soft neck varieties are the ones for southern climates. I will try and find out some information for you on what some of my garlic friends down south are planting. Like I said garlic is huge and there is a lot of garlic coming in from China and people don't want to buy it, they want American garlic and with us the want local garlic.
Good luck

What are people doing with all this garlic? Other than a random dish here n there we don't use any garlic?

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:33 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:
What are people doing with all this garlic? Other than a random dish here n there we don't use any garlic?

It’s New England. Must be a lot of vampires up there.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:18 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:Other than a random dish here n there we don't use any garlic?
Your and your family are missing out on really good eats.

Heck, I don't mind offending folks. Wife and I use a lot of garlic.

Made turkey pastrami the other day and several weeks back, Canadian bacon. Used garlic in the brine for a great flavor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Crimson Tim wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:

Don’t mix vampires up with varmits. There are plenty of varmits about.

Clemson...garlic is becoming very popular and trying to get an edge on the market by growing 10 varieties. Good for blood pressure and health.

We used to grow sweet corn but that kills good soil quickly. Did pumpkins and made a good wage but that market has been destroyed by Walmart selling $5 pumpkins we used to get $10 for.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Eugene wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:Other than a random dish here n there we don't use any garlic?
Your and your family are missing out on really good eats.

Heck, I don't mind offending folks. Wife and I use a lot of garlic.

Made turkey pastrami the other day and several weeks back, Canadian bacon. Used garlic in the brine for a great flavor.

It is great eating, we add it to our roasted fingering taters. I am eating some right now.
Sarah adds her herbs and garlic to pork chops, great in pasta sauce. Thanks Eugene for some ideas! My favorite is roasting them in olive oil.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:54 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote: I am eating some right now. Sarah adds her herbs and garlic to pork chops, great in pasta sauce. Thanks Eugene for some ideas! My favorite is roasting them in olive oil.
I cooked supper/dinner tonight. Chopped onions and garlic, cooked in sesame oil and soy sauce. Added chopped up ham and left over rice. The inspiration was something to do with the left over rice.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:00 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:
Crimson Tim wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:

Don’t mix vampires up with varmits. There are plenty of varmits about.

Clemson...garlic is becoming very popular and trying to get an edge on the market by growing 10 varieties. Good for blood pressure and health.

We used to grow sweet corn but that kills good soil quickly. Did pumpkins and made a good wage but that market has been destroyed by Walmart selling $5 pumpkins we used to get $10 for.
And also AlDi selling them for like $3.

Sweet corn isn't worth anything, is it barely worth the time? The right time a year you can buy it for $0.05-.10 an ear at AlDi or even local for $0.20-0.25 an ear. I. Ant imagine how that would pay off. I personally have never grown corn in my garden cause it's not worth my time, the seed and fertilizer when I can buy it so cheap in season.

I agree if it's paying good and you can easily sell all you can grow and people are wanting it , that's the right crop.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:20 am

Perhaps this is all too particular, too mechanical for getting the garlic into the ground. It comes down to, in my mind, the rather fussy bit of placing a clove into the hole, tamping it shut, going on to the next hole, and so on. On your knees, bent over.

Instead, as an option to consider, how about using the Cub with under-mounted tines to cut continuous "V"s in the garden. Then walk along, place cloves in these V's (almost drop them in as long as they do down the correct way which might be rearranged if needed with a stick?), push the V shut with the foot or a something like a plunger and keep moving along. Drop, stomp, drop, stomp...so on. Turn around, do the next V. You might well do several Vs at one time. Might be quicker and less time on the knees and all around a) good time on the Cub, and b) less time bent over in the dirt. Lost V's, due to foot traffic readily recut with the Cub or a hoe. Give it a thought.

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:14 am

Clemsonfor wrote:What are people doing with all this garlic? Other than a random dish here n there we don't use any garlic?

Well I guess you don't eat "Cajun" or "Italian" food then as just about ALL of it has garlic in it. Not to mention steeping garlic and hot peppers in a gallon of water (add 2 drops of liquid soap) and you have a very good natural insect repellent. And if you never had a steak or leg of lamb that only needed garlic and salt to make em then you don't know what good eatin is... And like others said garlic and onions (same family of veggies) have heart, health and and other benefits to you when you eat them. Not saying you can't live without it, but at least at my house I can't... As a matter of fact I think I'm going to pick some spinach today, throw some olive oil in a pan with a clove of garlic and have some Italian style fresh greens tonight...

PS. Dill pickles have em in it, throw some in vinegar or olive oil, add a clove to pickled pepper too. Many of my canned veggies have em in them too. So its used in allot of things if you like. Also garlic comes in many flavors, some are HOT, some strong garlic flavor, some mild. There is a whole world out there, just need to experiment and try new things....
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:What are people doing with all this garlic? Other than a random dish here n there we don't use any garlic?

Well I guess you don't eat "Cajun" or "Italian" food then as just about ALL of it has garlic in it. Not to mention steeping garlic and hot peppers in a gallon of water (add 2 drops of liquid soap) and you have a very good natural insect repellent. And if you never had a steak or leg of lamb that only needed garlic and salt to make em then you don't know what good eatin is... And like others said garlic and onions (same family of veggies) have heart, health and and other benefits to you when you eat them. Not saying you can't live without it, but at least at my house I can't... As a matter of fact I think I'm going to pick some spinach today, throw some olive oil in a pan with a clove of garlic and have some Italian style fresh greens tonight...

PS. Dill pickles have em in it, throw some in vinegar or olive oil, add a clove to pickled pepper too. Many of my canned veggies have em in them too. So its used in allot of things if you like. Also garlic comes in many flavors, some are HOT, some strong garlic flavor, some mild. There is a whole world out there, just need to experiment and try new things....

Yep I love most Italian food. Don't eat Cajun. And the most frequent Italian that we make is home made pizza and that's not as often as I like, maybe a half dozen times a year. We use our own home made sauce most of the time which has NO garlic in it. I believe my wife uses garlic enfused (however that's spelled) olive oil in making the dough. But we don't make out olive oil and it's just a simple choice at the store when you buy it to get the one with garlic.

Not that I don't like garlic I just am trying to think where its used and how much any one person would normally purchase. I do like dill pickles which have it but again I don't make my pickles so I have no reason to purchase it for that.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:17 pm

DickB wrote:Perhaps this is all too particular, too mechanical for getting the garlic into the ground. It comes down to, in my mind, the rather fussy bit of placing a clove into the hole, tamping it shut, going on to the next hole, and so on. On your knees, bent over.

Instead, as an option to consider, how about using the Cub with under-mounted tines to cut continuous "V"s in the garden. Then walk along, place cloves in these V's (almost drop them in as long as they do down the correct way which might be rearranged if needed with a stick?), push the V shut with the foot or a something like a plunger and keep moving along. Drop, stomp, drop, stomp...so on. Turn around, do the next V. You might well do several Vs at one time. Might be quicker and less time on the knees and all around a) good time on the Cub, and b) less time bent over in the dirt. Lost V's, due to foot traffic readily recut with the Cub or a hoe. Give it a thought.

This is how I would do it. This is how I plant most seeds. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but it must not if everyone is poking holes in the ground to plant it?

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:
DickB wrote:Perhaps this is all too particular, too mechanical for getting the garlic into the ground. It comes down to, in my mind, the rather fussy bit of placing a clove into the hole, tamping it shut, going on to the next hole, and so on. On your knees, bent over.

This is how I would do it. This is how I plant most seeds. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but it must not if everyone is poking holes in the ground to plant it?

Not saying you can't do it that way, just some (like me) are trying to avoid compacting the soil (the walking and stomping part) as it has been shown that even walking in the row inches away from the plant can lower its growth. I do like the idea of dropping the seed in a small trench, though I think something like a 3-4' long 3/4" or 1" pvc pipe may let you drop it while standing and not have to "FIX" which way the root end goes. could even have a hoe idea mounted on the pipe and then use it to cover up the seed (clover).
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:05 pm

This is probably one reason why my garden sucks. Heavy clay soils. Ground is very compacted just a month month and a half or so into the season.

Return to “Farmall Cub”