This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Frozen Square Implement Bar in Square Socket

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
aball36
Zip Code: 48609
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub

Frozen Square Implement Bar in Square Socket

Postby aball36 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Next decision to make on the 51 farmall cub is how aggressively to try and remove a stuck square bar from the square implement socket. (See attached photo). Probably the correct terminology is the square opening at the rear of the "Steering Gear Housing Assembly Base". I am assuming that a sledge hammer type repair would probably be frowned upon by the casting and cause more damage than good. I've tapped on it a bit with a 3lb hammer and it seems fairly frozen in place. Maybe I should leave well enough alone unless there are some success stories out there. Maybe a torch to warm up and expand the square socket. I attempted to squirt some PB blaster up into the set screw hole and also at the end shown in the photo. The opposite end on the other side of the tractor doesn't appear nearly as corroded or stuck.

Thanks,

Adam

51 Cub Implement Bar.png
51 Cub Implement Bar.png (236.62 KiB) Viewed 817 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Frozen Square Implement Bar in Square Socket

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Are you sure one or both of the set screws aren't broken off?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:41 pm

I wouldn't get in a rush. Soak with PB Blaster, moderate rap with 3 lb. hammer, both ends, every time I was in the area.

Another option is to suspend some weight fastened tightly to the bar and below the bar. Tractor motion might put a small amount of twist/torque on the bar to help loosen it up.

I use a bar hanging in that socket to suspend additional front end weight.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:43 pm

Three suggestions:
1- Tap with hammer in all directions. Up, Down, Right, Left. Small hammer like maybe a ball pin hammer.
2- Keep spraying with lubricate, followed by air pressure to push it back into the sleeve.
3- Heat with a heat gun, may help without danger of cracking cast iron. I would not use high heat!
Walter

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Wondering the same as Bob
Thomas

aball36
1951 Farmall Cub

Postby aball36 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will double check the set screw on the opposite side as the picture. The set screw on the side closest to the picture backed right out without issue but I didn't think to look up into the socket on the other side as there was no visible bolt/set screw at first glance. I just assumed it was missing but maybe it is broken off.

Thanks,

Adam

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:41 pm

there are two set screws

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:29 pm

If there is no screw broken off, and you have a compressor, blow out both implement holes to get out any debris that might be jammed in there.

Also, be careful if you use the hammer much, that you don't mushroom either end, causing another problem. You might use a block of wood to hit against.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 am

Dale Finch wrote:Also, be careful if you use the hammer much, that you don't mushroom either end, causing another problem. You might use a block of wood to hit against.

:Dito:

That's exactly what I was thinking. As tight as the bar is in the hole, if you deform the end of the bar, you'll never get it through the housing. Do yourself a favor and grind or file the all four sides of the bar near the end of the bar down now, before you beat it into the housing and find out that the end has been mushroomed.... :roll:
In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to grind down as much of the bar as you can, even slightly, including rounding the square corners to make it pass through the housing easier once it gets moving. Also, when checking to see if a set screw is broken off, when you look in the tapped hole, you should see the corner of the bar. If you don't see a corner and the bottom of the hole looks flat, it might be a broken set screw.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:18 pm

Or the edge of the bar has been deformed from using a flat ended bolt instead of a cup point set screw.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 pm

check the hole closely for the broken set screw . please let us know how it turns out , even if badly . all of us here learn from our successes and temporary failures . coppersmythe...............................

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Forget PB, use diesel fuel/trans fluid mix, heat-- I mean LOTS of heat large acy/oxy torch and heat--beat-dump more mix, heat some more, and it will come out. When you hit it , come from all directions if you can, sometimes they will move just a bit in one direction but not the other so once you find which way it will move, you can go a bit that way, clean the new area with a file or grinder then work back the other way. --- I had to do this on the front axle tubes on one to get them loose so I could set them all the way in.
Take your time and dont spare the heat! -- It's your best friend here! --- I hate to resort to this tatic, but when all else fails you dont have a choice!
Before you start doing anything, make sure the bolts are out, not broke off, then check the square with a cheeepo caliper to see if its still square or been mashed before.
The exposed part can be ground or filed to get the paint and surface rust off before you start. to will help when it does start moving.
Just one final thought, --- check closely in the bolt holes for welds, also check next to the casting for welds!! --Don't laugh, I passed one up on an auction that had a square welded in there!

aball36
1951 Farmall Cub

Postby aball36 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:28 pm

Thanks for the continued tips. I haven’t gotten brave enough to pour the coals/torch to it yet. 3rd consecutive night of PB blaster and tapping with hammer. I have now ground the exposed end down to get rid of paint and pack rust to make it feel like I have made some progress. Inspected both screw holes and 95% sure nothing is broken off in there. The bottom of both holes does look somewhat flat but it appears that the flatness is more a result of the corner edge of the square stock basically having a machined chamfered edge to it already making it flat and perpendicular to the travel of the screw. I have start using the edge of a putty knife to jam around the ends of the square socket where it allows me. Some areas allow the knife to get in there 1/2” or so. Still amazed there is no sign of movement with a fairly firm rap. More patience I suppose... curious if I could cobble together a heavy chunk of angle iron with some heavy forks welded on the one end along with a bottle jack on the exposed end to create some type of hydraulic press device like a mini wood splitter concept that would keep the casting material in compression during the pressprocess. I am probably asking for trouble with that line of thinking. Probably should stick with current plan if I can stand the wait. I should buy stock in PB blaster or revert to diesel/tranny mix as suggested. thanks. Adam

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Postby Frozenstate » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Just heat it up and get it off. The torch will work perfect. Penetrating oil is something to use before you figure out the right way to get it off, heat, lots of it.

JimCub48
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56377

Postby JimCub48 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:01 pm

I would measure the tool bar square stock to make sure its not tapered so you are driving it in the right direction. Keep lubbing it and drive it out with a block of wood.

Return to “Farmall Cub”