This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Condenser.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lilduke88
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 08088
Tractors Owned: 57 cub lo boy

Condenser.

Postby Lilduke88 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:15 pm

So I’m having a issue getting my cub to start, i have power to the distributor but when I look inside at the points it is not getting a spark every time it opens. It might spark every 4th or so tie it opens. Is this a bad condenser or something else. I cleaned them off and when I do get a spark that carries to the plug it seems pretty weak. I need to almost touch the plug to the block to see the spark.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Condenser.

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi,
The points need to have flat and shiny surfaces to work best. File them flat is the best way, unless you put in new points. Wipe off all filings with a clean rag.
I take the points out and set them on a solid surface to file them.
Then you would need to set the gap.

If it is not the points causing the problem, it could be the condenser or the coil.

It's cheaper to replace the condenser first.
The original coils on Cubs commonly quit, partly or fully.

There is also an insulation in the side of the magneto, or Battery Ignition unit that can crack, or break, then it can short there. Be sure it is good.
Below is a new one at TM Tractor, you can look at the pics.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/957fp.htm

Below is a listing for new points and condenser, showing the style of condenser they use.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

The system should make a blue spark that jumps about 1/4". :)

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:37 pm

I have also had the "rub block" (not sure the official name!) wear or break, so that the gap was inconsistent. So while you have it open, check for that.

Another problem could be the insulator to which the spring side of the points is attached...could be broken, allowing some movement or misalignment of the contacts.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:38 pm

Might just be a good idea to give it a tune up anyway especially if you don't know or don't remember when it was last done. Since these parts are not made in the quantities they used to be the quality just isn't there anymore. Many are plated rather than being solid and don't like to be filed. I recently had a bad Echlin condenser for a Ford V8 go bad in 5 minutes of running.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:00 pm

Lilduke88 wrote:I cleaned them off and when I do get a spark that carries to the plug it seems pretty weak. I need to almost touch the plug to the block to see the spark.

Hi,
If you are checking the spark by removing a spark plug, and connecting the wire to it, you have to ground the bottom area of the spark plug to a bare place on the engine for it to show a spark. :)

Lilduke88
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 08088
Tractors Owned: 57 cub lo boy

Postby Lilduke88 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:07 am

That is what I did. I took a plug out, put it in the spark plug wire and touched it to the bolt on the block.

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Least expensive best place to start is a good tune up, with quality points and condensor. Solves 90% of no start problems due to ignition.

If not, you'll have to work your way back from there, checking coil for continuity and resistance etc. You say you have juice to the coil. Is there juice on the other contact leading to distributor when the points are closed?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Return to “Farmall Cub”