C-22 wrist pin removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
halftonstude
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 06482
Circle of Safety: Y

C-22 wrist pin removal

Postby halftonstude » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:07 pm

I think i may finally be getting down to the wire. i have one last stuck part to remove. I googled, searched the posts in the forum (and really only found two regarding this topic) looked at the service bulletins, service manuals, operators manuals and i know somewhere i missed something. The threads on the wrist pin on the flywheel of my c-22 mower are stripped. I have a new in the bag wrist pin, as well as an un-tapped NOS nut (the cost of the nut and a brand new 5/8-11 LH HSS tap was waaaaay cheaper than any used nuts i've seen). The question is removing the wrist pin. One solution i read was a big hammer, but danger of breaking the flywheel. tried it. I also heated all and tried a gear puller (in "push" mode to push the pin out). Heated the flywheel and boss area with a rosebud tip on my oxy-acetelyne till about 800 degrees or so and cooled the pin with water then tried hammer, and two pipe wrenches, and nuthin'. In fact i broke the jaw of one of my 30" pipe wrenches trying to twist it. it's not going anywhere. I then measured the diameter of the new pin, and is about 4 thou wider than the nearest fractional size drill - which would make one HECK of an interference fit. My next idea is to put my hydraulic press up on boards on top of my chicken plucker, cut the wrist pin off flush, then press it out from the pitman arm side. or at least try to. The pin has a shoulder which is why i'd have to cut it off prior to pressing from the front. I tried pressing from the back (even after drilling a 1/2" hole most of the way through and using a 1" drill to remove any area of the pin that may have had the back peened over... all to no avail. I think i can get enough support around the flywheel to prevent it from cracking with the press but since the main shaft isn't removed i have to get the press up high to try that. My press is too large to have the drive shaft vertical facing up - i can't get a square parallel press on the back of the wrist pin - it wants to push on an angle. Has anybody else changed this pin or removed it? i'm at a complete loss and could use some encouragement going down the back stretch of this restoration. Thank you in advance
c
1951 Cub which the guy for which i rake hay has now nicknamed "princess..."

halftonstude
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 06482
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: C-22 wrist pin removal

Postby halftonstude » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:52 pm

Wow no replies! Maybe many have not had to remove and replace this pin. So I lifted my hydraulic press onto saw horses with my engine hoist and shimmed the heck out of the flywheel with steel plates and washers and other flat objects to make sure i had support everywhere (I had read about flywheels cracking) and pressed... all 12 tons. In fact the frame of the press started to twist before I saw the slightest hint of movement. BUT IT MOVED! Pressed the old one out, and after having had the new one in my -10F freezer for a while pressed that one in just as nice as you please. SO, in the event someone wants to do this, my results are above. Your experience may vary. Some settling of contents may occur during shipping and handling. Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate...
c