This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front wheel bearings and grease.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Front wheel bearings and grease.

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 am

I have read the manual, and understand how to take the tire off and out bearing off and the inner one stays on the spindle and to repack them and reassemble.

I just watched a YouTube video as I was killing time where the guy said to take the bearing cap off and pack it full of grease and screw it back on to ensure the bearings were greased. I have not read this anywhere or heard of that before.
And since I DON'T believe everything this I see on YouTube I figured I would ask the experts here, has anyone heard of this before? Other than blowing out the rear seal with the pressure you create I can't see anything wrong with this method?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Qtr Milr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46723
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1935 JD "B"
Kubota BX2380

Re: Front wheel bearings and grease.

Postby Qtr Milr » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:51 am

I would not listen to the video!! Wheel bearings do not need that much grease!! You are better off taking them out and cleaning out the old grease and then adding fresh grease. Pack the bearing, smear a little grease on the inside of the hub and races and put it back together.
Scott

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:36 am

Qtr Milr wrote:I would not listen to the video!! Wheel bearings do not need that much grease!! You are better off taking them out and cleaning out the old grease and then adding fresh grease. Pack the bearing, smear a little grease on the inside of the hub and races and put it back together.

Haha, which was my plan and what I plan on doing. That method you can't actually inspect them either.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:34 am

It must be true, it was on the internet! I agree with Scott, clean and pack the bearing and a little in each race. Grease packed in the cap is simply wasted grease, it will never lube anything.

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Postby Frozenstate » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:15 pm

I just drilled and tapped the hub cover and threaded a zerk in and grease it until it comes out a little on the inside seal. Has worked like that for about 30 years now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Frozenstate wrote:I just drilled and tapped the hub cover and threaded a zerk in and grease it until it comes out a little on the inside seal. Has worked like that for about 30 years now.
This I have done with a farm only trailer. Shot or two of grease a couple time a year.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”