This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Cub 12volt wiring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cubminister
Zip Code: 30680

1949 Cub 12volt wiring

Postby Cubminister » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:10 am

Sorry club members, I posted to another forum... new to the club.

I restored my working 1949 Cub and put a new wiring harness from a vendor listed on the forum. I followed all the instructions for a 12 volt Cub with an alternator. After completion, I fired the Cub right up but could not turn it off when I pushed the on/off starter button, which is two-pronged. I am not an electrical guru, just mechanically inclined. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I am also restoring a 140, but that is another forum with questions.
Thanks!

P.S. I am sure you men might need more info to which I will provide, just knowing I am not good with electrical.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1949 Cub 12volt wiring

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:05 pm

Need to know which alternator you used? 3 wire? 1 wire? Manufacturer's name?

Which wiring diagram did you use?

Welcome.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:21 pm

If you have a 10SI alternator this may help. Be sure to read the notes at the bottom. My diagram does not show it, but the warning light can be replaced by a diode. The light or the diode as the case may be allows the ignition switch to excite the alternator, but lowers the return voltage to the point it will not allow the exciter lead to power the ignition. the light can be replaced by a simple rectifier diode rated at 5 amps or more, with the band end toward the ignition switch.

10si alternator.jpg
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:17 am

John's posting, above should help you out. If your alternator is not a Delco, the same correction applies but the connection points are labeled differently. If you're unsure which alternator you have, post a pic. of it. John, the diode does not need to be that heavy, many folks use 2 amp, I've been using 4 amp.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:12 am

Gary Dotson wrote:....... John, the diode does not need to be that heavy, many folks use 2 amp, I've been using 4 amp.
I could not find the diagram that listed that diode, and was going by memory, which is older and more worn than my cubs. :x I did not know what the current draw was on the exciter lead, so I decided to error on the side of higher current.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Post back with the alternator name or a photo and which wiring diagram you used.

We are assuming that you used a Delco 10SI. BUT, you could have used an make of alternator, even an older model with an external regulator.

The diode or lamp are common methods of preventing the alternator feed back to the ignition system. There are other methods, just depends on your personal choice.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Cubminister

Postby Cubminister » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Eugene wrote:Need to know which alternator you used? 3 wire? 1 wire? Manufacturer's name?

Which wiring diagram did you use?

Welcome.

It is a Delco, single wire. I purchased the new wiring harness with instructions, no diagram, from Brillman. I just read on their website that they offer technical support but sounds like you men give simple, detailed advice.
Thanks.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi,
Below is a wiring diagram with info about the diode, at the bottom of the pic.

If it is a 1 wire alternator, I don't know why you are having problems shutting off the engine.

The diagram is for a 3 wire Delco alternator, they have said on here if you have a 1 wire Delco alt, don't connect anything to the 1 and 2 connections on the side of the alt.

In the diagram, they only use the diode on a 3 wire alternator, on connection number 1, on the side of the alt.

Look at the alt and see if the 2 connections on the side have a cover over them, or if the hole for the plug is open, and has 2 connections in it.

The pics of 1 wire Delco alternators have a cover over the side connection, it isn't used.
Below is a pic. :)
Attachments
Cub wiring Delco Alternator.gif
Cub Delco 1 wire 2.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:51 pm

Cubminister wrote: I purchased the new wiring harness with instructions, no diagram, from Brillman.
What does the wiring harness instructions say about installing the harness on the alternator?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:31 am

The diagram Glen posted is a good one to use, if you have a three wire alternator. Pay particular attention to the notes, shown. I have, at times, had issues with warning lights. If you go that route, be sure to use one of the lamp #'s mentioned in the notes. If you decide to use a diode, they can be sourced from any electronics store.

Cubminister

Postby Cubminister » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:38 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Below is a wiring diagram with info about the diode, at the bottom of the pic.

If it is a 1 wire alternator, I don't know why you are having problems shutting off the engine.

The diagram is for a 3 wire Delco alternator, they have said on here if you have a 1 wire Delco alt, don't connect anything to the 1 and 2 connections on the side of the alt.

In the diagram, they only use the diode on a 3 wire alternator, on connection number 1, on the side of the alt.

Look at the alt and see if the 2 connections on the side have a cover over them, or if the hole for the plug is open, and has 2 connections in it.

The pics of 1 wire Delco alternators have a cover over the side connection, it isn't used.
Below is a pic. :)

Thanks... this diagram is better than the instructions (no diagram) from Brillman. Will try this after work today.
THANKS!

Cubminister

Postby Cubminister » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am

Eugene wrote:
Cubminister wrote: I purchased the new wiring harness with instructions, no diagram, from Brillman.
What does the wiring harness instructions say about installing the harness on the alternator?

With Brillman, each wire has a number and the instructions tell which ends connect to which switch/part/etc.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm

OK. How many wires are attached directly to the alternator? Guessing 3 wires.

If 3 wires, remove all but the wire attached to the large terminal. Start engine, see if the alternator charges and the engine shuts off.

If alternator doesn't charge but the engine shuts off, you have a 3 wire alternator and need the diode.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”