This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front mounted spray tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Front mounted spray tank

Postby Mht » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:21 pm

I know all about the tall weeds. I cultivated silver queen corn a week ago. The corn was 18 inches tall and the Johnson grass was higher than the hood on the my cub. The Johnson grass was so thick it would wrap around the cultivator shanks and lift them out of the ground.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:30 pm

Mht wrote:I know all about the tall weeds. I cultivated silver queen corn a week ago. The corn was 18 inches tall and the Johnson grass was higher than the hood on the my cub. The Johnson grass was so thick it would wrap around the cultivator shanks and lift them out of the ground.

You're up against an extra nasty there.
Long durability in the soils seed bank type seeds , and (!) rhizomes.

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic

Postby Mht » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:08 pm

That’s for sure. Seeds can remain viable for 20 years and every time you cut a rhizome in half with tillage you’ve created two plants. Plowing the rhizomes up to the surface in the fall can help if we get lucky enough to get a good hard freeze in the winter and killing in June with roundup before seeds mature can help but no garden crops are roundup ready so you almost have to just fight the grass and not plant crops for a couple of years to get it under control. And I don’t think it will ever be possible to completely eradicate it because of the long term seed viability.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:04 pm

The downtime , labor,fuel,and crop out of production would hurt trying to eradicate seed in bank.

Letting it sprout before spraying , letting it sprout again and spraying . Well , you know....
At least if the foliage is killed it will stress the roots. I never had Johnson grass but imagine tilling would cheer up the rhizomes.

I have planted miscanthus gigantus.(sp.) for screening by using rhizomes. Not supposed to seed viably. And hasn't. I've left it to fight it's way unattended except for a couple pruned spots.
Going on five years and the rhizomes have not gone far. Or I'd dig and divide it. (By age it should be losing vigor without dividing it.)
Barely bloomed last year, so this year might tell more if it's fading.
I expected it to try to spread more.
Of course if you want it too , vs don't want it to....L.o.l..

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Field bindweed up here!

Looks like morning glory!

It has the rhizome roots...... cut the root in 4 pieces and get 4 plants!

I remember one year, with the help of my then new 6' tiller, I infected a small 1/3 acre plot. When I would cultivate that years sweet corn, each row I would have to stop to clear off the bindweed vines from the cultivators!

The next year I tilled it with the tiller, and every time I would see some sprouting in the field I tilled it again.

Before Fall, I did not see much!

In small areas I take, and after tillage when it sprouts again, I dig it up with a shovel and extract the plant and roots, then burn them!

I've read where pigs in a area with field bindweed will root it out!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:09 pm

Story time since we are into killing weeds.

Central Iowa. Grandmother wanted morning glories to decorate the farm house flower beds. Grandfather told her not to. Grandmother planted them. For the next 30 years until they left the farm, Grandpa walked the corn rows spraying morning glories
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”